Cosy 131 slow with AB ethernet PLC

Are there any settings in the Cosy 131, or in eCatcher that can be set to speed up the process of connecting to an AB PLC?

there are a mix of PLC’s as follows:

CLGX - Master
Micro 1400 - most of the remotes
Micro 1100 - 2 or 3 of the remotes

Just trying to connect to the CLGX master PLC is extremely slow.

customer has tried connecting directly using Port forwards on the Cellular modem that the Cosy is connected to, and says that it is quite quick to connect to the PLC and he has no issues. he is basically looking for an easier method to connect into the PLC, without setting up multiple port forwards in the cellular modem.

Cosy is set properly to allow LAN to WAN forwarding.

Cosy is set up with 192.168.1.53 for the LAN and 192.168.0.54 for the WAN.

devices are connected as follows:

Cell Modem - 192.168.0.30
PLC - 192.168.0.10
HMI - 192.168.0.11
Cosy - 192.168.0.54

when I connect into the eCatcher, it gives me an appropriate route in the table.
I then add a second route for the 192.168.0.0/24 network.

I can now ping the entire system, and see all of the PLCs on the 192.168.0.X subnet.

so… based on all of that, what is the best course of action for setting up parameters to make the PLC connection faster?

Thank You,
Brad

Hello,

There isn’t any setting to increase connection speed to the PLC. You can adjust the Poll rate to set the period of data aquisition. However, there is no method of increase the speed inherently within the unit. You can check the connection length, and test for any noise on the trasmission cable.

Is the connection slow locally as well?

it is quite quick if he is connected locally, or if he is connected through the cellular modem at the site. he says it is about 25x faster than when going through the Cosy connection.

Hello,

As he is remote, the local service provider could be experiencing an issue with the connection. Can you supply a back up with support files of the eWON device?

even with the eWON connected to the WAN, there is a fast connection via the cell modem, without going through the Cosy.

basically, with just the port forward in the cell modem, he can go through the static IP address of the modem at full speed to the PLC.

when he connects through the Cosy connected to the same cell modem that runs at full speed directly, the connection is roughly 25x slower.

I will try to get the config file for you to see if there is something in there slowing it down.

here is the backup copy with support files. it downloaded to me via eCatcher and eBuddy at lightning speed.MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (78.5 KB)

Hello,

Thank you for the backup.

I do have have another request.

Do you think you can make me a temp user on your ecatcher account? I wish to run some tests on my end for the remote connection. During the approval process, I can remove the sensitive information from the thread, and transmit it to a staff note like the backup above.

Moved to Private

Hello,

So i tested the connection with the unit with your eCatcher account credentials, and did experience a significant enough delay in accessing the UI. I ran some ping tests and did see momentary spikes in latency, but it wasn’t significant to prevent access to the webpages of the units.

You are using our Flexy in a way it wasn’t designed for. By trying to NAT to the WAN side can cause performance issues with traffic. We advised to setting the PLC and HMI to the same subnet as the LAN. This will increase performance, and eliminate the need for creating any routes to the unit.

Agreed, it is not the customary method to access the devices. That said, the HMI needs to be able to send e-mails. therefore, it needs to be directly connected to the internet.

the HMI and PLC would also need to be on the same subnet, I believe.

Unless there is a way that LAN side devices can connect to the internet, I’m not sure that it can all work.

I might be able to set static routes in the cellular modem that would allow the PLC and HMI to be on different subnets, since the cell modem is the gateway for the HMI.

Please let me know your thoughts.

You can configure your unit to to allow internet access to the LAN side devices. See the post and documents below: