eWon cosy 131 cellular connection setup

Hi there everyone,

I have with me an eWON cosy 131 3G. I’m trying to establish a modem connection following the guides available. ( choose modem connection -> input pin and apn…). However i keep getting an error when trying to establish WAN connection.

Would be thankful for suggestions to solve this problem.

Thanks
J.K Lim

@Jayson_Lim

The pin is not always required. You want to ensure that you are using the correct APN by contacting your mobile network operator.

The main reasons why the internet wizard may fail for a cellular (modem) WAN connection are the following:

The APN is incorrect
The cellular signal strength is too low
SIM card is not 3G GSM compatible (AT&T / T-mobile are mobile network operators that we use in the USA)
Sim card is not activated

If you have any questions regarding the setup of a cellular connection, please see the following topic as it provides information on how to setup and troubleshoot your cellular connection:

thank you for the quick reply. I’ll pay attention to these and try again.

a silly question though. I just notice that none of the status LEDs for the cellular mode is light up.Could it be that the modem is not connected?

if so, how can I solve this?

@Jayson_Lim

The status LEDs should light up after you successfully initialize the modem by passing the internet wizard with the Modem option.

I do believe the LEDs will light up briefly when you boot the device but if it’s not configured for a modem connection then the lights will stay off.

Hmm…the problem still remains even though i have given the correct APN and the sim card is activated. What’s left is just to cellular signal strength.

I found this as a method to check the cellular signal strength

" GSM Modem
Check Signal Level

If the eWON is configured to use the GSM Modem, but it isn’t making a WAN connection, the first check to do is the GSM signal level (i.e. exactly the same thing as the reception level on a mobile phone).

On the eWON home page, open the Configuration menu. Select Communication. From the menu that appears on the left hand side, expand Interfaces and select Modem. The resulting page will display data on the internal modem, including signal level.

On standard GPRS netowrks, a minimum signal level of 18 is recommended for good communication. Under 18 will still function but at a reduced capacity. An HSPA network emits with a lower power and therefore a lower signal level is expected. On UMTS or HSPA networks, as low as 5 will still work.

A signal level of 99 shows the eWON has not received this information from its modem.

If the signal level is low, ensure the antenna cable is properly secured to the connector on the eWON and is run outside the panel."

But the menu doesn’t seem to be available on mine which is problematic

Attached is the error log

@Jayson_Lim

I agree with you.

The errors are indicating the modem is unable to initialize which may mean its signal strength is too low.
I would also ensure your SIM card is 3G GSM compatible.

Thanks! the problem has been solved

1 Like