AB7697-F Configuration Help

Any response from NI?

They sent this last Thursday:

The sync managers are not manipulated in any way on our controllers besides reading the configuration data in from the ESI file and saving it to memory. Also, there are no ENI files that are produced from our NI controllers since the EtherCAT functionality of our controllers is to read in the ESI files and communicate with the desired device using the provided configuration.

This really feels like one of those issues where the knowledgeable engineers could hash it out in 10 minutes, it’s frustrating being the middle person between L1 tech support on both sides who have to relay messages back and forth.

Could you possibly isolate the commands coming from the cRIO in the trace file that are problematic? I also sent a number of messages a couple of weeks ago to support@hms.se after someone there emailed me directly with the subject line CRM:0357002028, but they immediately went dark again.

Also, can you confirm that the Omron XML file is incorrect for this ethercat/devicenet gateway? It won’t even allow transition between idle and preop and I suspect it’s because the “Outputs” mailbox is marked with a controlbyte of x24 instead of x64 (the base/”naked” gateway ESI file from your website says it’s x64 and attempts using that base file allow the idle to preop transition, but not, obviously, the preop to safeop)

Best Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can’t tell which part of the response is quoting NI and which part you’ve added.

I would like to verify something quickly because I’ve gone back and looked at other cases involving our EtherCAT slave and most people have been successful in creating a working ESI file, but you need to set the correct sizes in the gateway using the Anybus Configuration Manager first. Also, when running the ESI Generator, make sure you are directly connected to the gateway via Ethernet, and there are no other devices connected to the PC by Ethernet.

I looked at some working ESI files, like this one and they have the x64 output control byte that you noticed was different in the OMRON ESI file. As far as I know that file still works with the OMRON PLCs, but I’ll check into the discrepancy.

I’m going to see if I can get one of our EtherCAT experts to work with you directly, but can you verify that the ESI from the Generator was created after the sizes set and no other Ethernet devices connected? Also, make sure that the VednorID in the ESI file is identical to the one set in the application in the EtherCAT Host Object.

Thank you,

Kyle

Are you available for a call this morning?