AB7916-F X-Gateway Config and Manuals

Hi.

I’m working with an AB7916-F DeviceNet Master to Ethernet/IP Slave. I am trying to replace an 1747-SDN with this gateway, and I feel as if I’m almost there. However, I continue to run into a variety of issues, and it appears there is no updated documentation for either the Anybus Configuration Manager software, nor the AB7916-F. The Support Pages documentation ‘How To Configure DeviceNet With Anybus NetTool For DeviceNet’ webpage suggests utilizing Anybus NetTool for DeviceNet while the software download suggests Anybus Configuration Manager. The hardware found within ‘How To Configure DeviceNet With Anybus NetTool For DeviceNet’ does not represent the AB7916-F. I have, however, managed to configure it, put it on the network, and read data from a drive. I do still have a variety of issues which would likely be answered by supported documentation. My first question is, does documentation exist which supports configuring a DeviceNet Master with Anybus Configuration Manager, and/or an AB7916-F user manual.

Here are some issues I am encountering:

1. I am suddenly unable to put the scanner to its idle state. The parameter is grey in ‘idle’, but the diagnostics window shows the scanner is running, and I cannot download a new scan list due to the scanners state (running).

2. I am not sure what the Autoscan Fixed Map Size means, nor can I find any description

3. I am also not unable to upload from the scanner

4. I am seeing ‘Device refuses to be initialised’, I am wondering if this is a result of having two scanners on the network. I believe this to be root issue as I am communicating with one device which I removed from the network.

5. When I update the IO data map on the scanner, do I need to download this to the scanner?

Any help would be much appreciated, or if there are supported documents, they would help as well.

Thanks,
Andrew

@Awenaus is this the same issue as seen here? Diagnose AB7916 data - #5 by lrenteria

Anybus configuration manager - Devicenet should be the same as Nettool for devicenet. I believe it was rebranded many years ago.

I have not read that other thread but here is some feedback.

1. I am suddenly unable to put the scanner to its idle state. The parameter is grey in ‘idle’, but the diagnostics window shows the scanner is running, and I cannot download a new scan list due to the scanners state (running).
    ACM devicenet/Nettool should be able to set the device into idle. You do need to be connected to the bus either with a USB to CAN or via a transport provider. The transport porvider can be via the Ethernet/Ip interface or the usb com port.

2. I am not sure what the Autoscan Fixed Map Size means, nor can I find any description
    I am not sure what feature this is. Can you share a screen shot?

This makes me again wonder if there is an issue with your connection to the bus. Perhaps there is a Devicenet/CAN bus issue?

4. I am seeing ‘Device refuses to be initialised’, I am wondering if this is a result of having two scanners on the network. I believe this to be root issue as I am communicating with one device which I removed from the network.
    Two scanners on the network? this could be causing issues with what device is the master. Are they both controlling the BUS?

5. When I update the IO data map on the scanner, do I need to download this to the scanner?
    You would want to download any changes to the bus.

Hi Deryck!

Yes, I am the customer who has been speaking with the user Irenteria.

ACM devicenet/Nettool should be able to set the device into idle. You do need to be connected to the bus either with a USB to CAN or via a transport provider. The transport porvider can be via the Ethernet/Ip interface or the usb com port.
    I am connected via the USB connection as well as the Ethernet/IP interface. I’ve configured the gateway, but all of a sudden I am unable to upload/download to the gateway

I am not sure what feature this is. Can you share a screen shot?
I have figured this out, it is for auto scanning… if a device is found that is not mapped, it will auto map it to the amount of bytes set in parameter 2

This makes me again wonder if there is an issue with your connection to the bus. Perhaps there is a Devicenet/CAN bus issue?
It seems unlikely as I have two separate networks: one for testing, and one live network. They both behave the same. I do have the NS led blinking red indicating a connection timeout. Could this an issue with the gateway?

Two scanners on the network? this could be causing issues with what device is the master. Are they both controlling the BUS?
I put the gateway on the network in an attempt to test communications. I have removed the gateway now.

You would want to download any changes to the bus.
Okay, thanks!

Are you sure you are using the correct device ? If this is the master for the ab7916 I would expect you to be using the Ethernet to Devicenet gateway device.

Can you start a new config and upload from the network?

Hi Deryck, I have resolved the NS issue as well as the Idle/Running issue. It seemed an issue with the network file.
The left network was not allowing me to upload/download the parameters. The middle network is my test network. The right network is the network saved from yesterday. I was able to edit the right network, and download it to the gateway. It appears happy now.

My main goal here is to replace a 1747-SDN on an SLC with the gateway on RSLogix5000. Is there a way to have both scanners reading the network at the same time? The gateway would ideally start off by being read-only.

My understanding is that multiple masters can exist on a bus but I am not sure if each can be running their own scanlist to the same devices. Im not sure i have seen a setup with two masters.

It may be easier to get the device running with just the x-gateway.

I think this is associated with the Anybus-M Dev . have you used the Ethernet to Devicenet gateway 2.2?

I tried briefly, but I could not get it to connect. I believe the Anybus-M Dev is the correct device… Unless I need two modules representing the one gateway on the network. Is this correct?

This was just done via trial and error. I don’t believe theres supported documentation.

Regarding your earlier reply, I think I will just try to set it up via the ethernet gateway. I’ve stumbled by way this far. I believe I’m almost there. I will update this thread if I come across any troubles, or anything noteworthy.

Could I ask the latest time that this thread would be replied to? As in, will support stop until tomorrow soon?

Our team works until about 5 ET but i cannot guarantee a response though i will try and check in periodically here.