Anybus 7072 Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU

Hi there, I am using an Anybus AB7072 to try and connect an modbus TCP network (vendor) to a modbus RTU serial network (Honeywell DCS via RS-232). I have configured the module and connected the networks but the module status light continues to flash green. The manual indicates this means “Not configured, or scanner in idle state”. Can you please help me resolve this?

Thanks.

Hello @Ryan_Lewis,

the gateway is not a transparent modbus TCP to RTU device. You will need to configure the modbus transaction for the serial side of the device. The serial side will poll the serial slave and then write it to the internal memory of the communicator. You can then poll the modbus TCP registers on the device it self. See section 5 of the user guide for mapping details.

If you are looking for a transparent gateway you can use an AB7702.

Deryck

A colleague also just pointed out that if you have the device setup you could be having an issue with the run/idle header that is used with Ethernet/ip. You can disable this from the field bus settings.

Thanks Deryck. I did have the Ethernet/IP Run/Idle Header disabled previously so this is not the issue.

I am connecting the serial side to an old Honeywell TDC3000 SI FTA. Do you have experience with this? There is “minimal” configuration that can be done on the Honeywell end other than the serial communications settings, but it is my understanding that the Honeywell serial communication can only act as “master” and not a “slave”. Will either the AB7702 or the AB7072 work in this configuration?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

If the Honeywell device is a master it sounds like you would need a modus RTU slave for it to connect to.

If i understand your setup correcly an AB7641 should work for you. This would allow you to setup a modbus TCP client/master to read and write data to the TCP side and then allow the honeywell RTU master read from the modbus RTU slave interface.

Another possibility is that you need a gatway that is a modbus TCP master to modbus RTU slave like the AB9005 This would you to set the gateway up to read data from servers on the modbus TCP network and then allow the Honeywell DCS to read data from the gateway.

It might help to each out to our inside sales team so they can help make sure you get the right device. +1 (312) 829 0601