Anybus Transport Provider crashing

Hello,

I am an engineer from Scorpion Vision Ltd and we use Anybus X gateways in some of the automation systems that we develop. Recently we have been experiencing problems with an Anybus X gateway Modbus-TCP slave to profinet IO. Our software application receives triggers and sends values to an OCP server. This OCP server is connected to the Anybus X gateway. During periods of high load, our OCP server loses its connection to the Anybus X gateway. We think this is the result of the Anybus transport provider crashing and we have observed the connection being lost in the log output of the Anybus OPC server.

Any insight on how we can stop this crash occurring would be greatly appreciated.

Angus Simpson,
Machine Vision Engineer, Scorpion Vision Ltd.

Hello,

What is the Article number of Anybus unit.

Can you send us screenshots of the logs when the device goes down?

Hello Kevin,

Anybus X-gateway
Ethernet Modbus-TCP Slave-PROFINET IO Slave
Article: AB7650-F
Serial: A03BCB5A

Hello,

Any further help on how we can resolve this issue relating to the Anybus X gateway and Anybus transport provider software?

Angus

@A-simps,

You need to provide more details about this connection in order for us to help. What side of the gateway is connected to your server? Modbus? What commands are sending? ETC.

Thanks,

Kyle

Modbus-TCP side is connected to the OPC server.

The gateway and OPC server receive a trigger and reset command from the Profinet IO side.
The OPC server receives all other data from the Modbus-TCP side.

But are you using our version of OPC Server or another OPC server?

i am using the Anybus OPC Configurator

Can you please un-install the Anybus Transport Provider, reboot the PC, and then re-install it using this link:

https://cdn.hms-networks.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/software/hms-anybus-transport-provider-1.zip

Can you explain what you mean by “periods of high load”?

The gateway and OPC server receive a trigger and reset command from the Profinet IO side.
When this trigger is received our software on the Modbus-TCP side performs some tasks in approximately 1200ms before sending data back to the OPC server. This data is shown in the picture of the anybus server tags above.

Sometimes our software will receive multiple triggers a second. If we receive a trigger during processing it is added to a queue. This can result in us sending data to the OPC server continuously for 3-4 minutes every 1200ms as we process queue items. it is common during this 3-4 minute period for our connection through the anybus to drop. This problem has been experienced on multiple different PC’s and systems.

I will un-install the Anybus Transport Provider, reboot the PC, and then re-install it using the link and see if the problem persists.

Hello,

I have run the system again with the transport provider reinstalled. The same issue occurs, I have included a log file from that test.

OPCLog_currentA.log (612.4 KB)

I will forward this to the developers to look at, but it does appear that it’s being overwhelmed by too much data at once and crashing. Is there a way to slow that down?

I actually didn’t realize that you were in the UK, can you go to https://mysupport.hms.se and create a case for this? You can provide them the link to this topic on hms.how.

Hello Kyle,

I have created a case on the Swedish website with a link to this discussion for context. Unfortunately it is not viable to slow down the rate of data as the trigger signals come from a conveyor moving at a fixed speed. Thank you for the support and for referring the issue.

You’re welcome. I have spoken to Siobhan in the UK about the case and she is escalating it so that we can find a solution for you. Thank you for your patience with this issue.