Anybus Wireless Bolt - DHCP

Hi,

We are using the AnyBus Wireless bolt in a factory for a simple uplink to a Windows machine. We use windows DHCP with dual serves. Primary DHCP and a failover.

Bolt Firmware: 1.5.3 [18:45:36,Jun 19 2018]
Layer 3
DHCP and DHCP relay

Has anyone come across DHCP issues where the bolt and PC seem to clash when trying to get a lease? Its generally weird behaviour.

The doco isn’t quite clear on DHCP and if it can handle dual server locations.

Wireless network is Cisco Meraki.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

Is the PC connected on the Ethernet side and is that the only device? If that is the case I would recommend using the mac clone mode using the MAC of the PC Ethernet card as the cloned mac.

I also recommend making sure you are on the latest FW Service pack 3.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

It sure is. We will try doing that.

Thank you
Adam

Hi Deryck,

If we change to layer 2 cloned will we lose management access to the anybolt?

Thank you
Adam

You will still be able to get to Bolt though its IP address. I have found that access though the WiFi is lost but you should have no issues though the LAN side.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Just to confirm.

Should we set the IP address as static and turn off DHCP relay?

Using layer 2 forwarding does work well but we seem to have no access to the management interface even on the lan side.

Thank you
Adam

You should still have access to the Bolts Ip address. If you have Layer 2 forwarding set up the DHCP request should be getting forwarded down to the LAN device.

You will want the Bolt to have a static IP address set and then your PC on the lan would need to be in that same subnet.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Confirming we have management while using the clone feature.

It has helped but we are finding we need to power cycle the bolt regularly as the client seems to disconnect from the network.

Thank you
Adam

Are you still on firmware 1.5.3? If you haven’t already update to 1.6.3/SP3. This sounds like an older bug that should be fixed.

Deryck