Anybus-X AB7820 AS-i Master to Ethernet/IP Gateway installation

Attempting to hookup an Anybus-X Gateway with an AS-i Master and Ethernet/IP Interface. Ethernet part seems to be working fine, but I am unable to get our ASi input modules working. Checked voltage on the ASi+/- lines and it was reading in the 30-50 mV range.

Solid steady Red lights on the MS and AUP leds, but green in GW Stat, RUN, and NS leds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

We do not have an extremely deep knowledge base with AS-i, but in past situations these LED indications have proven to be caused by wiring errors.

Have you followed the steps from section 2.2 in this manual,

Best regards,
Nick

I have not, is there any other way than RS232 to access this menu? Also, none of the slaves power up, I don’t think we would be able to detect them anyway.

We are building an AS-i network from the ground up, not just connecting to a pre-existing one. If I have your gateway and a handful of input modules and the cable to hook them up, do I need anything else? Do I need a special, separate AS-i power supply? We are currently just feeding the gateway 24V from control power.

Just verified with another gateway of a different brand, the AS-i lines should be floating around 24V, whereas the Anybus has no voltage.

Is there a configuration or setting I need to put the Anybus in before it will output voltage on the AS-i lines?

The gateway does not supply bus power, I gathered this from the description of the configuration button in section 4.5 of that manual. It says,

Ok, that is frustrating to hear. I wish that clearer was in the documentation when we initially purchased this.

Do you have any suggested standalone AS-i bus power supplies or guidelines for picking one that will work with this gateway? Is there a bench test setup or typical use case document I can look at?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am going to double check with my colleagues in Sweden about the bus power. I have an internal escalation.

As we do not have a very large knowledge base, and AS-i is not very common for us I do not have any suggestions.

I will get back to you as soon as I know more.

Nick

Hello,

My colleague confirmed you need external bus power, I apologize for the ambiguity. I will escalate this to our documentation department so they can review it and adjust the documentation accordingly.

Best regards,
Nick

Currently in the design phase of using the AB7820 AS-i Master as recommended by my local distributor. I haven’t found any updated information on the HMS website that specifies the bus power supply. I have seen other systems that spec a 30Vdc supply for the bus. nick_hms can you update this topic?

Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick,

Other online sources like this Wikipedia article specify 31.5 V. The X-gateway is a standard AS-i device so this would apply.

Best regards,

Nick