Anybus X-Gateway (AB7649) and MicroLogix1400 PLC

I do not have the equipment yet. It is in the design phase as of yet, but the third party equipment in which the micrologix 1400 plcs are in is for sure happening.

In terms of the application, we have four third-party pieces of equipment that my company is purchasing, where each piece of equipment is coming with their own MicroLogix 1400 plc. My company requested the ability to give each piece of equipment a “Run Permissive” signal as well as receiving certain data back from each PLC, i.e. fault signals, flow values, etc.

The PLC that we will use to send the run permissives and receive the data is a Siemens 1515 PLC. Since Siemen’s PLCs use profinet, and the MicroLogix 1400 PLC has ethernet/IP communication, we figured we would try the Anybus X-Gateway (AB7649).

That is my concern. Lets assume that I configure the X-Gateway Ethernet/IP side to have 20 bytes of input buffer, and 200 bytes of output buffer. Profinet side of gateway would have 200 bytes of input buffer and 20 bytes of output buffer.

If each MicroLogix PLC is using the “MSG” instruction, service type “Set Attribute Single”, Instance 150, Class 4, Attribute 3

Each PLC would have made a “Write Data” tag with 200 SINT elements, similar to the example in the link you first sent (see pic below),

How can I make sure that the data I send from one of the MicroLogix’s doesn’t overwrite another?

Since the Micrologix 1400 doesn’t support I/O messaging, only MSG instruction, I wouldn’t use Ethernet/IP at all. I would use Modbus TCP and configure them as servers. Then you can use our Modbus TCP client (AB9007) to read and write to them.

@kyle_HMS What if we have only one MicroLogix 1400 communicating to the AB7649 X-Gateway? That would remove the risk of overwriting data.

We are hesitant to go down the Modbus TCP route if we can make the Ethernet/IP communication work out

Correct. It’s only an issue when you have multiple devices trying to write to the same registers. Theoretically, they could do a read before writing, and make sure to write back the registers with data from other devices, but putting that into practice could be difficult.

Hello Kyle, I am currently trying to follow the same instructions as you posted above, but am having trouble. When trying to use the MSG instruction for the Micrologix 1400 PLC in RSLogix 500, i am not getting a similar popup window as the instructions you posted for RSLogix 5000. Can you help?

Sure. The instructions below should work better for RSLogix 500:

Using a HMS Anybus Ethernet Communicator with an Allen.pdf (867.7 KB)

A post was split to a new topic: Send data from RSLogix to Siemens PLC

Hello,

I have followed these instructions with the MSG instructions and I get an error on my MSG block saying “D6 Communication timed out by network” and the Gateway has flashing green MS and NS LEDs. I’m guessing this means that the connection is not established between the MicroLogix 1400 and the Gateway although I’m not exactly sure why.

Multihop IP address is set to IP of the gateway Ethernet/IP Adapter side of the X-Gateway. MSG instruction is set to Read Assembly, Class 4 (dec), Instance 100 (dec) and Attribute 3 (dec).

Whatever I do, I can’t establish a connection between the gateway and micrologix.

The LEDs indicate that a connection has not been established.

Is it the AB7649 or a different gateway?

It is the AB7649. Profinet IO side of gateway is communicating perfectly. I can see inputs on the gateway web page. Ethernet/IP does not seem to establish a connection with the MicroLogix 1400 though.

You’ve set the IO size using Anybus Configuration Manager - X-Gateway and confirmed that the sizes are correct in RSLogix?

Is this RSLogix 500 or 5000?

I am using RSLogix 500 for the MicroLogix 1400. IO sizing is 64bytes input and 64bytes output and that configuration is downloaded to the X-Gateway. I can confirm that in the web page

Your read and write should look like this:

Read Assembly:

Write Assembly:

Except your sizes should be 32 words for each.

I cannot find an instruction for EEM so am using MSG

Receive MSG
Receive MSG

Send MSG
Send MSG

Multihop
Multihop

IP Config

Have you created a case for this issue at https://support.hms-networks.com? If not, please do as that will allow the case to be escalated to the Anybus developers. From what I can see, it appears to be configured right, but I am not the expert on RSLogix.

@willparky This thread helped me out with the connection issues. Ended up having to use the hyperterminal and power cycle the Anybus gateway, then that seems to fix the communication issue.

Thanks for the suggestion @dschmitz5.

@willparky You were able to download the configuration to the X-Gateway via the USB cable and Anybus Configuration Manager - X-Gateway, right?

If so, and the connection continues to timeout, it sounds like there is some kind of network issue. Can you ping both the PLC and the X-Gateway from the network?

Have you tried connecting the X-Gateway directly to the PLC?

I have started a support request but not much help other than sending me the PDFs you already have.

I am connected to both the gateway and the PLC using the same port on my laptop. I have even tried connecting the plc and gateway directly but it still does not make a difference.

It seems the MSG instruction or connection request is not finding its way to the gateway although I’m not sure why not.

To answer your question, yes I have used USB to download the config to the gateway. I can then go in over the network web page to the gateway and it shows that the configuration is set correctly

Can you send me the configuration file (.hcg)?