B40 - internal port in EDS file expected or needed?

Hello,

I have a question about the Ethernet ports that get listed in the EDS file generated by the HMS EDS tool for an Ethernet/IP implementation based on the HMS B40 module ( AB6674) .

Background: I am using the CompactCom B40 Ethernet/IP module and have successfully passed ODVA conformance testing. I have a solid knowledge of embedded firmware/hardware for DSP/FPGA based power conversion controls but I am a novice when it comes to Ethernet/IP, which is why I used the B40 module for one of our product’s Ethernet/IP interface. Also I recently took over support of the implementation from another team member so I am still coming up to speed on many of the B40 details. An industry partner with way more knowledge of Ethernet/IP than myself reviewed our EDS file which was generated with the HMS EDS Tool. That person had lots of great feedback. One item he noted that we had three Ethernet ports listed in the EDS file.

Having three ports listed in the EDS file seemed odd because the B40 connector board only has two Ethernet jacks. Our guess is the internal port listed was the internal switch between the two external ports and the internal B40 Ethernet interface. The concern is exposing the internal B40 switch port in the EDS file would potentially allow somebody to corrupt its configuration. I am assuming this is not good because that port should not be altered if its a port internal to the B40 module.

My questions are:
-Is the third internal port what I think it is (the internal switch between the two external ports/jacks and the B40 Ethernet interface)?
-Is having the internal port in the EDS file needed/normal or should that be removed from the file?
-If this internal port should not be in the EDS what config option in the HMS stack should I update to prevent the internal port from being listed in the EDS file when the HMS EDS tool runs?
-Or if there is no option to prevent the internal port from being listed should I delete this third port manually, and reduce instances from 3 to 2, after the gen tool runs?
-Is there anything else typical users of the B40 manually review/modify in the EDS file?

I did a search of the forums and did not find a similar topic. I also reviewed the HMS docs and did not find any insights into this question (but there is a lot of documentation so I could have missed it).

Below is the snippet of EDS file. This snippet taken from the end of the HMS generated EDS file.

Thanks for your time,

[Ethernet Link Class]
Revision = 4;
MaxInst = 3;
Number_Of_Static_Instances = 3;
Max_Number_Of_Dynamic_Instances = 0;
Class_Attributes =
7;
Instance_Attributes =
11;
Class_Services =
0x01,
0x0E;
Instance_Services =
0x01,
0x0E,
0x10,
0x4C;
Object_Name = “Ethernet Link Object”;
Object_Class_code = 0x000000F6;
InterfaceLabel1 = “Port 1”;
InterfaceLabel2 = “Port 2”;
InterfaceLabel3 = “Internal”;
InterfaceType1 = 2;
InterfaceType2 = 2;
InterfaceType3 = 1;

Yes this is an internal/CPU port for the device.

It is normal to have the 3rd port in the EDS file. It is also included in the STC/SOC file used by ODVA for testing. I have never seen any concern with the port before. The configuration for it can not be changed as far as I’m aware, from the ethernet/IP side you should be able to GET the states but never SET them.

The internal port is also mentioned in the Network guide including some note in the Section 3 Statement of Conformance. https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/manuals-design-guides/hms-scm-1202-031.pdf?sfvrsn=435fadd6_65

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the third port in the EDS file is a non issue and I will move forward with that.