Clear tag values if communication is lost

Good Morning,

Ewon Flexy 205 - communicating with AB Compactlogix

I was wondering if it’s possible to clear tag values if it lost communication with the device. Example, we have 14 tags going to an ABLOGIX I/O server. If that machine is taken down for maintenance obviously we lose communication. I would like to be able clear those tag values. I tried using a tag as a heartbeat and after a certain time using SETIO “tagname”, 00 but the Ewon seems to not write to the value if the device the tag is associated with is offline.

Any advice?

Thank you
Dan

Hi Dan,

Do you have the page set to auto refresh?

If that doesn’t work maybe we could try and disable and re-enable the IO server and see if that clears out the values

-Tim

Tim,

The IO server works correctly when the target device is on and communicating. When the status of that IO server is unknown, because the device is off is when I want to set those values to zero. This may not be possible.

I have seen on numerous post you can create a STATUS tag for a particular IO server. In the general reference manual 8.3.3 Tag name convention it mentions STATUS tag. I think this kind of tag could solve my problem. I am just unclear on the details. Is the status tag created in Tags>Values>Add then defines as a new tag? with “(Status, IP Address)” in the address input. Is this tag need to be a sys tag? Can you clarify how to make a STATUS tag?

I think if I had a tag for the IO server and I knew it was offline I could program the code to look elsewhere or just generate a completely different report when needed.

The Ewon normally maintains the last read value, but can you check if disabling and re-enabling the server fixes it? There’s no way to write the values to 0 though, but this might be a work around that you can trigger by toggling if the server is enabled.

-Tim