Configuration Anybus x-Gateway, DeviceNet Adapter/Ethernet IP Scanner

DeviceNet Master is not connected yet. EIP scanner network is connected with MURR Electronic EIP IO modules. Valid input data is observed. Ethernet IP LED status: GW green solid, LA green flashing, MS green flashing, NS green solid. Scanner is in idle mode. Cannot put scanner in run mode with ACM tool. Do I need to complete the DeviceNet adapter configuration first?

Hello @dstuber,

You should be able to put the EIP side in run mode from Anybus configuration manager. Tools > set operation mode. Is this not working are you getting an error response?

The other option is to enable the control/status word on the Device net side and control the device from that side.

Deryck

When I attempt to put the EIP side in run mode from Anybus Configuration Manager. Tools > Set Operation Mode, the selection is grayed out and says " Not Available". The DeviceNet master card is on order but has not arrived yet. I am in a time crunch so I’m trying to finish testing the EIP side while I’m waiting on the hardware.

This is my first experience with Anybus gateway, so I’m learning as I go. I have another general question: Is the mapping between the two sides automatic based on address offsets, or is there a configuration tool that I haven’t seen yet?

Hello @dstuber,

Make sure you are connected to the gateway though the USB connection to make the change. Can you upload and download to the device to make sure it has a valid connection and configuration.

The mapping is done to a internal memory buffer that is shared between the two sides. The Network Configuration Manuals will do a better job explaining how the data is mapped, but if you have any questions I can help explain. Both are available on the files and documentation page. https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/x-gateway-specific/?ordercode=AB7672

Deryck

I can upload and download to the EIP scanner with ACM. As I mentioned, I do not have a master connected to the DeviceNet adapter side. I was thinking this might prevent me from putting the either side in run mode. But you say this is not the case?

Hi @dstuber,

Sorry, I did a poor job explaining this. You can either use the control status work to set the run mode or you can use ACM. If the control word is enabled the option is not available from the ACM tools menu. If the control word is enabled then you will need to make a connection though the Devicenet side and enable it there.

For testing you should be able to disable the control/status word and control the Scanner though ACM.

Deryck

Ah yes, that works! I thought I tried that before, but the first time I think I disabled the control word on the EIP side. The control word on the DeviceNet adapter side must be disabled. That makes sense when I think about it.

Thanks.

Great! Have a good week!

Deryck

I have 4 DeviceNet EDS files in my downloads from HMS website:

324-7900-EDS_ABCC_DEV_V_2_1.eds
72-7978-EDS_ABS_DEV_V_1_35.eds
105-0440-EDS_ABC_DEV_V_1_10.eds
005A000C004A0300.eds

Which one is correct for configuration of the DeviceNet adapter of my AB7672? Are the other files needed?

It should be the 005A000C004A0300.EDS file.

Deryck

Hello Again Deryck,

First a little background info. I am not using RSLinx as my configuration tool. This application involves a Bosch Rexroth PPC-R22 multiaxis motion and logic controller. The PPC-R22 includes a DeviceNet master. The network configuration tool is included in the PLC Configuration tools of the Bosch Rexroth software. The configuration is performed offline and then downloaded to the DeviceNet master. There is no network scanning feature. First you add the slave node (in this case, Anybus DeviceNet adapter) to the project, referencing the appropriate EDS file. Then there are dialogs where you set baud rate, MAC address, and polled IO size. Then you download the configuration to the master. I have done this before with other DeviceNet slave modules. But in this case I’m having some problems:

If I follow this process using the EDS file you have recommended, there are no Polled IO objects available on the IO Configuration tab in the Bosch software. Only on the Parameter tab do I see any information from the EDS file. So there is no way for me to define the length of the connection. And no IO is added to my project tree. Despite this, the connection comes up all LED indicators on both ends of the connection look good, but I cannot access any of the IO to define tabs, and no system memory is allocated to IO addresses.

I opened the 005A000C004A0300.EDS file with notepad, and I see that there is no [IO_Info] section in the file, only a [Params] section. One of the other EDS files i downloaded (324-7900-EDS_ABCC_DEV_V_2_1) does contain an [IO_Info] section. I tried that file, and the Polled IO configuration looked as it usually does and I was able to set the input and output data size and it appeared in my project tree as usual. But I couldn’t connect to the slave using that file. The connection timed out.

By the way, I am an integrator working on a project for Chrysler. I am an expert on the Bosch Rexroth motion controllers. I would say I’m somewhat familiar with DeviceNet, but certainly no expert.

Hello @dstuber,

I have only had some experience setting up the Devicenet In RSNetWorx. I will need to reach out to my colleagues to see if they have any details or advice for configuring it with a Bosch system.

The 005A000C004A0300.EDS should be the EDS files for the xgateway. The 324-7900-EDS_ABCC_DEV_V_2_1 file would be for a compact com and would not be compatible.

Deryck

@dstuber,

After discussing this issue with my colleagues it looks like the IO_Info is not mandatory but some configuration software considers it mandatory, In your case Bosch software takes the mandatory stance.

For the communicator the IO sizes are variable and are defined based on the application, so that section is not included in the EDS for the x-Gateway. What you can do it take the IO_info from one of the other EDS files and copy it into the 005A000C004A0300.EDS file. This should allow you to use the EDS in your Bosch software.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deryck

Deryck,

I got the connection working by adding the IO_Info section to the EDS file, as you advised. Successfully passing IO data, control, and status words. The Livelist format is different than I expected. I thought there would be one bit for each slave, as it shows in the Anybus x-Gateway User Manual. But I found there is a different format for this particular device.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Stuber

Great! glad to hear it is working. Not sure what would have changed with the Live list it should be as described in the user guide.

Deryck

It is described correctly in the Ethernet IP Scanner X-Gateway Interface Addendum. I my initial research I referenced the Anybus X-Gateway User Manual, which shows a different format. So I guess the format depends on the specific gateway.