Device Unreachable after logging on to Web App

Still having troubles trying to troubleshoot internet connectivity issues. During a follow up, I went to set IP by opening on browser. Next, I logged on to it and begun the wizard but after a few seconds I get the “Unreachable” message.

Have backup with support files, will travel. :smile:

Yes, please send the Backup with Support Files. Is this happening when connecting through eCatcher (VPN) only or through LAN or WAN as well?

Hi Kyle,

It’s happening while on the Web page for configuration. On LAN.

Thank you!

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (59.5 KB)

Do you have an SD card in this device? anything plugged into the USB port?

It’s getting stuck in a reboot loop and rebooting before much has been documented in the logs, immediately after the WAN port initializes and before OpenVPN has even started… which leads me to believe it’s either a peripheral, firmware glitch, power or hardware problem. You’ve been having issues with this device before this right? Have you done a factory reset, or recovery already?

Kyle

So,

This device was configured and tested in our facility, before installation into the machine, and shipped to the customer site. After some time (6-8 months later) customer decides to get this eWON online so that we can remote in and work on PLC program for changes/corrections.

For the past several days I’ve worked with the customer to get eWON going and connected to the internet. I then upgraded its firmware. Numerous failed attempts prompted me contacting you guys for help. It came down to the IP may need to be static on the WAN side, customer was unaware until speaking with their IT.

Began the config again to input the new static IP and subnet and DNS and gateway but now it freezes on the “Device Unreachable” red triangle (again, this is after connecting with eBuddy, opening the eWON in browser and logging in and starting the Wizards).

As it failed several times, I then tried a Level2 reset and start all over again. Same thing happens as soon as the IP settings get put in, it freezes on “Device unreachable”.

Your question: I don’t know why there would be an SD card in it, we’ve never use the card slot. I can ask the customer about it.

I initially got help from Zach at eWON a few days ago. I just thought maybe a different problem now.

After reviewing the previous ticket and logs it looks like you could not get online when the device was set to DHCP because it was not receiving an IP address from the network, but when a static IP address was set the device started rebooting continuously which causes you to see the web page briefly but then lose connection and see “Device Unreachable”. I also found a setting that will cause a lot of problems. NATltf is set to 0 (NAT and TF disabled) when it should be set to 3 (NAT on LAN), by default. You can change this setting in the UI by going to Setup > System > Communication > Networking > Routing and under “NAT and TF” selecting “NAT on LAN (Plug’n Route)” as seen below:

But it can also be changed in the comcfg.txt file on the device.

Please see if you can change that setting and try connecting to the internet again.

Thanks,

Kyle

Awesome Kyle, great info.

I’ll try right now.

Kyle, does this help at all?

Have you already made the change to NAT on LAN (Plug’n Route)?

The logs are indicating that you are not getting an IP address from DHCP on the network again. I think the only way we’re going to be able to resolve this is to work with someone on site who has a laptop that can be connected to the eWON’s LAN port while also connected to internet (WiFi usually) so that we can use Teamviewer. Is this possible to arrange?

I did navigate to that page and it appeared that I only get the option if I’m using the NAT feature. Before turning off the NAT, I did click the drop down and select the NAT on LAN. With NAT unclicked, I revisited the Routing page and there wasn’t anything there.

The Static IP and network all seemed to be the same. There IT assigned us an IP, Gateway, and DNS.

TeamViewer: That’s actually how I’ve been working on this for the past week. The customer’s tech on the floor was plugged into Port 1, using their WIFI, and I was on his pc via TeamViewer. And we messaged via TeamViewer’s built in messenger because the cell service was terrible.

When nothing worked (meaning “Device Unreachable” continued to happen), and I think it continues to reboot; I walked him through resetting the eWON (Level 2). It didn’t seem to take because the IP was not reset to 10.0.0.53.

After several more attempts to reset it, he became too frustrated to continue.

This always happens to us, we automatically install an eWON (Cosy 131 always) just in case, but they never let us get it online while installing our machines in their plants. Until something happens or they want a change in the code. Then we spend days trying to get it going remotely. One out of a hundred goes right online. The other 99 require a Technician to be sent onsite and fight with it for a couple hours, then all is good until we leave and they disconnect the ethernet cable (fear of access).

Thanks anyways Kyle.

So you want NAT on LAN (Plug’n Route) selected in the NAT and TF section, and you do not want NAT 1:1 enabled. I didn’t mean to catch that section in the screen shot. It needs to look like this:

What I was suggesting is also giving me access to the Teamviewer session so I can make sure everything is correct.

If the IP address didn’t change than the reset was unsuccessful.

I’m sorry that you’ve had difficulty with getting the Cosy 131 online. I would suggest to make sure it’s online when the machine is installed and the customer understands that the device is secure and only you have access. Then if the customer disconnects it that’s their choice, but it’s going to cost them a lot of money if they can’t get it back online.

No, I get’cha. We’re saying the same thing. I turned off the NAT (not sure why it was on, but I believe it was), and I did select the NAT on LAN.

I told the customer the same thing, that it didn’t take because the IP was the same. 3 attempts didn’t get it done though. I am going on what he’s telling me. He’s in Akron, Ohio and I’m in Tarpon Springs, Florida.

And I always push during installation to get the eWON online but you know how afraid the average IT Managers are with zero automation experience. They absolutely refuse and that’s after they’ve been sent all of the eWON docs educating them about the security of the application and it’s adoption on a global spectrum!

I think my manager will probably have me configure another one here with the customer’s IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS. Then, we’ll hope and pray that it comes online.

The customer Tech has withdrawn completely and believes it’s just too complicated. I’d probably never get him to allow another TeamViewer session to try once again.

Thank you for your persistence Kyle! I usually get dropped by the HMS/eWON support after the second email (at least on the Fallback subject I did).

Is there anything to watch out for when pre-configuring a Cosy 131 for a static WAN, without testing and just sending it to them?

@ADubberly,

So if you are setting up a static address on the WAN, you are not going to be able to run the internet connection test (unless your network is using the same IP subnet as them) so you will want to get it connected to your network and run the VPN Wizard to get it connected to your account first. After everything else is set up, you can go back to the internet wizard and change the network settings to match what they give you. Just do not check the box for “test internet connection” and the Wizard will pass and the settings will be saved. Then you can go ahead and send it!

Please let us know how this goes and if we can be of any additional help!

Thanks!

Kyle

Thank you very much Kyle, I really appreciate it.

I’ll definitely let you know how it goes.

Should I reply to your email with the details or the online forum?

You can reply to either the email directly or on the forum and I’ll see it, so whichever you prefer.

Will do. Thank you again.

You are very welcome.

Follow-up to the issues from previously. The set-up wasn’t actually tried. The customer decided with the new Cosy 131, to run with the WIFI settings instead. Our Service Rep on-site got everything configured and got the machine back online. He is returning with the eWON that could not be recovered. I’ll try to get it reset and recover it soon.

I’ll be in touch, if I can’t get it to recover.

Thank you. Again.

You’re welcome. I will close the ticket for now, but you can re-open by just responding to this message.

Thank you,

Kyle