Dynamic Button Text change linked to PLC string tag

I’m trying to dynamically change the text of a button based off of a PLC string. I don’t know the text that is required in the button so I can not use the built in function in viewon. I tried this code but the buttons remain blank. Do you see any errors in my code? It this a possible to do with javascript? I used a text box on the screen to verify the tag data is getting into the viewon software. It is. on the second button I tried to use static text (“test”) to see if the tag was not worked but the second button is still blank.

var ID1 = “UID_1621864851370”;
var ID1TEXT = getEwonTagVal(‘Viewon_UserPb1String’);
var ID2 = “UID_1621866577299”;
var ID2TEXT = getEwonTagVal(‘Viewon_UserPb2String’);

document.getElementById(ID1).value= ID1TEXT;
document.getElementById(ID1).innerHTML= ID1TEXT;
document.getElementById(ID2).value= “test”;
document.getElementById(ID2).innerHTML= “test”;

I changed to this code and the button text shows up now, but the button is completely gone?
Thoughts anybody?

var ID1 = “UID_1621864851370Container”;
var ID1TEXT = getEwonTagVal(‘Viewon_UserPb1String’);
var ID2 = “UID_1621866577299Container”;
var ID2TEXT = getEwonTagVal(‘Viewon_UserPb2String’);

document.getElementById(ID1).innerHTML= ID1TEXT;
document.getElementById(ID2).innerHTML= "test";

Pic below of running viewon

Pic below of buttons in viewon software

You might need to double check what parameter of the object you are editing. What do you see in the console if you add the following:

console.log(document.getElementById(ID1.innerText));
or
console.log(document.getElementById(ID1));

Are you testing this with the viewon editor or are you downloading and testing on a device?

I put these two sections of code in the viewon page javascript area at different times.
Nothing came up in the console area. I might be doing something wrong though?

Hi Bryan,

I was referring to to browser JavaScript log. When looking at the page in a browser they usually offer an inspect element option. This will help open up the developer tools in the developer tools you should see a console tab.

In my case I was testing though the viewon test page. this seemed to have issues accessing the inner element. suggesting the element id i am using is wrong or something else could be blocking access. I am thinking the test option in viewon could be part of the issue and would suggest downloading it to a device and testing.

I replaced it with this code and the button disappears but the text changes to “test2”

Ahhh, I see. Here is the inspect view of the button. “Test” is the current text.
Interesting note: The div ID has “container” in it and the button ID does not.

Pics… code in viewon (running on a flexy), inspect window, console window that updates every second.

Bryan,

I was able to spend some time today testing this but was not able to find a way to edit the text either it seems like we are not able to edit the div in any way. I am checking if my colleague has any input.

As a workaround im thinking you could try creating a button directly in javascript. This should give you full control of it.

Deryck

Thanks for the info and research!