eWON 4005CD cannot reach LAN from eCatcher

Per the phone conversation, I cannot access the LAN ports.

Thanks,

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (172 KB)

Hey Nick,

I’m not seeing anything in the settings that would be causing this issue. Can you check in eCatcher for me, click the device and go to ‘Properties’, then ‘Configure LAN Devices & Firewall’, and let me know what that Firewall slider is set to? If it’s higher than ‘Standard’ it may be the cause of the problem, so put it back down if that’s the case.

The device has very old firmware that I would recommend updating when you get the chance (local access). I think that’s causing it to run a little rough also.

Thanks,

Kyle

Thanks, Kyle.

Hm, it’s set to “Standard”. I don’t think I’ll have a chance to access it locally; it’s in another state, and I sent it to the client via FedEx.

Any other possibilities we can explore?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the delay. Have you tried to access it from only the one computer? What is the ip address of the computer? Maybe there is a conflict with the VPN ip address…

I think I am going to need to access the device. You can either make a temp account that I could use, or we can do a Teamviewer session. We are only open for another 30 minutes, so we would probably have to do Teamviewer in the morning.

Kyle

Sure, we can do TeamViewer in the morning.

I have only tried from this laptop, but I have tried from several different networks, and none of them had any IP conflict with the range of the target network.

But as I mentioned on the phone, the LAN LEDs aren’t even lit on the device itself, suggesting that the device does not even acknowledge the devices that are currently connected to it.

There definitely are some issues going on with the device. OpenVPN is stopping and restarting too often, it’s defaulting to a static access server, but I haven’t seen anything yet that’s the obvious cause of the LAN port problem. If you want to let me know what a good time would be for you tomorrow. We are here 8 am to 5 pm EST.

Thanks. Anytime in the early afternoon EST should work for me.

I am wondering why this setting is set to 1:

FwrdToWAN = 1

If you know how to change that in the COM cfg file, change it to 0 and reboot. If not, we can try it tomorrow.

I can change that. I believe I set that in one of my attempts to access the LAN side, but it’s not impossible that it was shipped with that bit set. I’ll change it and see if that makes a difference.

Okay, I cleared that bit, but no changes in behavior yet.

I’ll be ready when you are tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

I am planning on calling around 1:30 EST today. Let me know if you need to do any later than that. Thank you!

It’s fixed!

I had the on-site technician connect an internet-connected computer to the LAN1 port of the eWON, and I used that to push a firmware update to it. Most interestingly, the IP address it was showing in eBuddy when I first connected to it was not at all the address I had set through the web interface. That may be related to the old firmware.

Thanks for your help. Firmware update plus an eBuddy IP-address reset did the trick.

Let’s tentatively say 2:30 or later; right now, it looks like I might be on the verge of solving this from your tips and with the help of an on-site technician. I’ll get back to this to let you know if the meeting is needed.