eWON goes to Offline

Hello,

We have an eWON Cosy 131 installed at a job site and it was working before, not sure from when it started showing OFFLINE, we had the site operator done the cycled power for it, but it didn’t solve the problem. I attached a picture and a log file, can you help to see what the possible cause is? The account is MOVED TO STAFF NOTE

Thanks

Hi ylei,

Unfortunately this eCatcher log doesn’t tell us much about the device itself. It’d be helpful if you were able to use eBuddy on-site to capture a backup with “include support files” checked, as this will give us the Cosy’s logs and configuration info.

I will note that your eCatcher version is fairly out of date, and it’d be worth updating it to see if that helps in the meantime.

Best regards,
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Yes, I was thinking to use eBuddy to get backup file for you, but since it is Offline, so I can’t connect it in eBuddy. Am I correct?

I can try to update the eCatcher version to see if it will help. But my current version is working for other eWONs we installed in many other sites.

One thing I noticed, if you see the picture I sent to you, on the top it has a note highlighted in Green color “We have updated our …to comply with GDPR…”, but with other working eWONs for other jobs, I didn’t see this note on the top. Is this note telling you something?

Thanks

Hi ylei,

You are correct that you can’t connect to it remotely as the device is not online in eCatcher, but someone on-site may be able to do so. They could connect their computer directly to the Cosy, or depending on the network configuration, a computer connected elsewhere on that network may be able to talk to it through eBuddy. The device is possibly powered on and connected to the internet, but if something is preventing it from reaching Talk2M (such as a firewall), it will still show up as offline in eCatcher.

I am not aware of any special meaning to the GDPR notice. My guess is that this particular account has simply not dismissed it yet, but others have.

Best regards,
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Yeah, we will have to wait our local rep available to visit the site to get it connected directly and get the backup file, we just can’t ask our customer to install eBuddy to do this work for us…OK, I will update something in the near future to see as we check further.
Thanks

Hello Hugh,

We still have the problem with that eWON, and I have our rep got the backup file. Please see the attached. And our rep is at the site now, see if we can get you on the phone or access to his PC to see the eWON configuration pages to see what’s wrong.

Thanks.
Yun

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (120 KB)

Hi ylei,

How are you intending for this device to connect to the internet? Right now, it is set to connect via Ethernet but all of its Ethernet ports are configured for LAN devices only. You will need to run the system setup wizard to make sure one port is configured for WAN so that you can connect to the internet through that port. However, it also looks like there is a modem of some kind connected to the device as well. Which connection method would you prefer?

Additionally, I notice your device is using a very old firmware version. You can use eBuddy to update it by selecting the device in eBuddy and clicking Firmware.

Best regards,
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Sorry, I was busy working with the plant and our rep on the phone all the time for other issues too, so didn’t see your response earlier…

I will find a change to update the Firmware.

We have the eWON WAN port connected to the plant internet, and it was working before for us to remote access, so I assume eWON was setup for the WAN already (was not me to set it up before, this is old job and was setup by someone else), I used it for remote access for a while (at least half year) last year, but haven’t used it for a while, then this year sometime we tried to access it again, but always saw it is Offline in eCatcher. So I am not sure, if you said no port is configured for WAN, how it did working before, unless someone made the eWON configuration changes? But I assume our costumer should not make any changes without informing us since we provided it with the whole panel, but they can access to the network and access to each device from their SCADA direct connection.

We had another gateway that has a cell modem setup to remote access to this plant network too due to some tests we need to do, also due to eWON is not working, so this new gateway can be used as a VPN connection too. Is that OK to have eWON and our gateway both setup for remote access?

I will try to see if in the near future, I remotely access to the network via our gateway, then open eWON’s configuration page to check again. Maybe by then, talk to you again.

Thanks,
Yun

Hi Yun,

I reached out to a colleague to investigate a little further. You may have some success after you’re able to update the firmware with eBuddy, but I don’t actually think this is a Cosy 131. It seems to be an older device, which threw me off with my previous suggestions. Once you update the firmware, you can capture a new backup with support files which will give us more complete and accurate information.

Best regards,
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I checked our BOM for this job, it listed the part# is EW26204, I also attached a picture, but the picture is not very good to show it well, and no side picture, so not sure what is the exact part#.

I will try to see if I can try the firmware update sometime.

Thanks,
Yun