eWon with Cellular 4G internet connection: WAN ports

When an eWon uses Cellular 4GLTE for internet connection, does the eWon provide internet access on any of the RJ45 ports set up as ‘WAN’ (orange light)? I would like to have a device connected to a WAN port via RJ45 patch cable and let it access the public internet via the 4GLTE connection. Is this possible?

It works on my other projects where port 4 is WAN and has a patch cable connection; if I set any other port to WAN the device can access public internet.

Thanks!

Hi,

This is not possible. When using the Cellular Modem as your WAN connection only LAN connections have the ability to use that connection for internet access.

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the response. So if Cellular modem in WAN connection, what is the function of an ‘orange’ RJ45 port? Is it basically useless, because it cannot see the ‘green’ LAN ports and it cannot see public internet?

It can be configured as a fallback connection for internet if the cellular ends up going down.

Hey support team!

I just wanted to ask this same question to see if it is possible with any of the eWon firmware updates. Basically I want to use the 4GLTE card to get the eWon internet access, and use an ‘orange’ WAN port to access the internet from a PC plugged into the orange WAN port. Is that possible or no?

Thank you.

Hi,

It is still the same. If you need to use the Ewon’s modem connection for internet you would have to be connected on the LAN side instead of the orange WAN port.

Hi Zach,

Sorry but i’m a bit confused - are you saying the green LAN ports have internet access if using a 4G LTE card for the internet connection of the eWON?

You can allow internet pass through to the LAN of the ewon outside of the VPN tunnel, but in doing this you will open your LAN network to the internet without any security. You would be using the ewon as a modem without a firewall or or any other security.

Ok thank you - is there any chance this could be changed in the future so that a WAN port could have Internet access?

What about if the eWon has internet from the WiFi card - does a WAN port have internet in that case?

The WAN port would still not have internet. The eWON can only have one active WAN connection (modem, WiFi, or ethernet) and a fallback if the active connection goes down. So if the WiFi card is being used as the WAN connection then the ethernet will not be active.