Flexy 205 constantly rebooting today

I had a flexy 205 start constantly rebooting this morning (Sept 7 2022). I’m trying to get the firmware but I think it is 14_6s0. The flexy has been running great for 2 weeks prior to this issue. So I reloaded a TAR backup that I had from last week (August 20 2022) and immediately it started rebooting again. I’m confused as this TAR file was running fine all last week? I’m running a few viewon pages, historical logging on 20 tags and some basic scripting for reports at midnight.

any thoughts?

I tried to unzip the TAR file to see if I could access the individual files (viewon, BAS, Tags, etc…) and download them one at a time and see when it reboots but winzip says the tar file is not a valid archive. thoughts?

Thanks for your help. Bryan

Forgot to add that after I connected to it and noticed it was rebooting, I did a level one reset. After the reset, it was stable and connected to ecatcher. Then I reloaded a TAR from last week and it started rebooting again. Confirmed firmware is 14_6s0. No SD card installed. No Cellular cards.

Get 7zip. It’s free and much better than winzip.

Can you share the .tar file? It sounds like maybe there is an IP conflict or something.

I can share the tar file, how do I get it to you?
IP conflict on WAN? LAN?

You can attach it to this thread. The system will automatically pull it out of your post so that only we can see it.

If the LAN and WAN are in the same subnet, for example LAN = 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 and WAN = 192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0 will cause an IP conflict.

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (714 KB)

I’m sorry, I should have specified to include the support files when making the backup. Could you please make a new one?

I can not make another backup because as soon as I get the tar on the ewon it starts rebooting.

So I would first remove the BASIC script from the backup, then upload it to see if it’s the script causing the reboots. It doesn’t appear to be an issue with the IP addresses.

You can extract the .tar file with 7zip, then delete ‘program.bas’ and re-archive the folder as a .tar file:

Ok, I will give that a try. Could you dump my backup to a flexy 205 in your lab and see what it does?

I can. I expect it will do the same thing.

That would be helpful as when I do tests, I loose remote connection to the plant that is 10hours away. The engineer then has to walk a laptop out to the flexy and I have to remote into his laptop to get the flexy running and online again.

The backup is not causing my Flexy 205 to reboot. Leads me to believe there is something local causing it. Have you tried disconnecting devices from it to see if the reboots stop?

That is extremely helpful. What firmware you running on your flexy205?
I will try the TAR update and then start unplugging cables.

It’s 14.6.

Just to close the loop on this issue… I reverted back to a working TAR file, downloaded that to the flexy. I started adding tags to the flexy one by one. Then when I entered a specific tag the flexy started rebooting. I investigated that tag and found that it was a string with a Length (LEN) longer than 82. when I fixed this tag length issue in the Rockwell plc, the flexy became stable, stopped rebooting and worked fine.

It would be helpful if the flexy would just ignore the bad tag instead of rebooting. When it is rebooting every 20 seconds I could not figure out what was going on.

Appreciate the help from the thread. Thanks!

Yeah that seems like a bug. I’ll let the developers know. Thank you for reporting this! Sorry for the inconvenience!