Flexy Cellular Wan Disconnects

Please review the attached backup and provide recommendations as to why the WAN keeps disconnecting on the unit.
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (288 KB)

Did this issue just start?

The log goes back to 3/15 and I don’t see any problems until 5/6, yesterday. Then suddenly the connections to the cellular network are only lasting 4 - 6 minutes before they are cut off.

Seems like a carrier issue, possibly they ran out of data, etc., is my first impression. Has that been checked?

We do not have a limit on the carrier data.

The issue with the disconnects started as soon as we turned off the VPN connection. We have not run into an issue with other Flexy units when we shut down the VPN connection so wondering why this one is having an issue wit it. Should have been disconnects yesterday and today in the logs.

How are you shutting down the VPN connection?

It doesn’t look like you’re allowing WAN access to the LAN. Are you still trying to use MQTT when the VPN is disabled?

Are you sure that the script on this device is identical to the other ones?

The script is identical. We are using MQTT while the VPN is disabled.

IF VPN_CONNECTION_ENABLED@=1 THEN
SETSYS COM, “load”
SETSYS COM,“VPNCnxType”,“2”
SETSYS COM, “save”
TSET 4,1500
ELSE
SETSYS COM, “load”
SETSYS COM,“VPNCnxType”,“0”
SETSYS COM, “save”
TSET 4,0
VPN_DOWN_ALM_ADMIN@=0
ENDIF

Would you be able to send me a backup of one of the ones that’s not having this issue and is also using a Verizon SIM card? (Ideally it would include logs when the VPN was off.)

Also, could you let me know what devices are connected to the LAN?

Do any of them have their default gateway set to the LAN address of the Ewon? (I know it seems like a strange question, but there is a reason I ask. We have found strange behavior with Verizon modems when a LAN device has the default gateway set to the Ewon’s LAN address some times.)

Here is one.MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (261 KB)

I will check this one but as a rule we set the default gateway of the plc to the LAN ip of the Flexy unit.

If the default gateway is set to be the Ewon’s LAN, I would recommend changing it to see if that eliminates the issue. You will still be able to access the device due to ‘Plug n Route’ on LAN.

We do not have it set to the LAN of the Flexy at this site due to the type of PLC that is installed at this location.

And the PLC is the only device connected to the LAN?

Can you update the firmware on the “broken one” to 14.3 and change ‘clidle’ in comcfg to 120? A longshot would be to also change USBipEnable to 1.

Should the tags be identical between these Flexy’s? If we don’t get anywhere with the above, I would use FTP to copy config.txt and comcfg.txt files from the working unit to the non-working one (pull out the line for ‘VPNSecretKey’).

Yes the plc is the only device. The tags are different between the two examples I sent you.

Have you tried this?

Currently in the process of reviewing the settings of another unit in the same town that does not have any issues when the VPN is shut down. This working unit that I am comparing with is using firmware version 14.2 so don’t think that would be the fix.

The issue was due to the MQTT keepalive setting. The keep alive setting on this unit was set at 300 seconds. Once I changed that to a lower number then there were no WAN shutdown issues when the VPN was turned off.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Ted. I think the default setting is 60 seconds.