Flexy String Tag

Hoping to see support to bring in string values to get some batch report identifiers that are not just numerical from a customer.

Will this be supported soon or is already supported?

Hi Ben,

String tags are supported in the 13.2 Pre-Release firmware that recently became available

-Tim

I am now running Firmware: 13.2s0PR (#518) but I do not see string available as a type in the I/O server setup for my compactlogix.

Hi Ben,

You should be able to create string tags like the ones seen below:

@Tim_hms

This is great news! It looks like the strings will be available on the MEM side, but what about for other IOServers?

Hi Nick,

The following IO Servers are supported with Strings:

MEM
EWON
MODBUS
OPCUA
DF1
ABLOGIX
S73&400
S7200
MELSEC
MITSUFX
FINS
HITACHI
BACNET
UNITE
SNMP
S5-AS511
NETMPI

Hello,

I tried a TAG type string with the IO Server ABLOGIX and it does not work.

1. When creating, I do not have the choice of the type String.
  2. Once the variable is created (via another type), I can change it to the String type.
  3. It does not work …
  4. I have an error (in the EventLogs) “ablsrv-CIP reply with unsupported tag type”.

To make sure that my variable in the PLC is good, I display the .len and .data [0] of the string.

I have the Firmware: 13.2s0 (# 564) on a Flexy 205
My PLC is a L30ERMS with version 31

Thank you
Christian

Hi Christian,

Since this feature is so new on the Flexy, we don’t have a lot of documentation on this yet. Let me get in contact with some colleagues in Belgium and see what information I can find out on this for you.

Hello Tim,

I found this note in the document “Detailed release notes”:

http://cdn.ewon.biz/eBuddyDnl/release.txt

And no other additional notes for the latests versions.

Christian

Hi Christian,

Sorry for the delay, I misunderstood which ones were supported because of this dropdown menu.

It looks like there is still a good amount of development being done for string tags and the only currently supported ones are S7, MEM, OPCUA