GE Versamax PLC

I am trying to poll data from a GE Versamax PLC in my Flexy but I am not sure what IO Server to use. Is it even possible?

That depends. What protocol is the GE PLC using?

modbus TCP

Yes, you can use the Modbus IO server. See: AUG-0059-00 - Polling data from MODBUS TCP

actually, i think it uses TCP/IP

TCP/IP is not an industrial communications protocol. Almost everything that uses ethernet uses TCP/IP. Modbus TCP, PROFINET, Ethernet/IP, etc. all use TCP/IP.

Hi @Lonny,

I did some googling and I think what you might be referring to is an obscure GE protocol called EGD (see: https://www.astor.com.pl/wsparcie/dokumentacja-techniczna/pobierz/plikartykulu/80763/136983).

We do not have an IO server for this protocol, but it may be possible to build one using BASIC or JAVA. Do you know if the PLC supports any other protocols, like Modbus, for example?

I found this.

Communication protocols supported by the VersaMax PLC include:

• Genius
  • Profibus-DP
  • DeviceNet

Hi @Lonny,

You could try using the S7-300&400 (MPI/Profibus - ISOTCP) IO Server, but it was made for Siemens PLCs so I can’t guarantee it will work with your GE PLC.

See: AUG-0048-00 - Poll data from Siemens PLC using Ethernet protocol

No luck with the any of the I/O servers. The PLC also does SNP on RS232. Is there an IO server for that?

SNP or SNMP? The Flexy does support SNMP v1, but that’s an Ethernet-based protocol, so I imagine SNP is something different.

You could also use our PROFIBUS gateway to convert to Modbus TCP (ABC4014-A).