Giving Internet Access Through Another Router

Hello,

We have an ewon deployed at a remote site with the following setup:

Windows PC (IP: 192.168.1.99)

• to -
    EWON (IP: 192.168.1.50)
  • to -
    Office Router (IP: Unknown but this router is setup to provide internet access for the ewon)

I am trying to provide internet access to the Windows PC. When connected over VPN, I cannot ping that PC but I can access it over VNC. I’m unfamiliar with routing tables and other settings in the Routing section, other than what is needed to provide LAN devices with internet access, but that PC just isn’t getting it. I need some help please, and miss being able to call.

Hi Justin,

PCs generally won’t respond to pings even if they’re accessible, and it sounds like you can connect to this PC since you can use VNC.

If you’re trying to connect to the Internet on this PC through the Ewon, can you make sure that it has a DNS server set? 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 (Google and Cloudflare respectively) are good public DNS options if you’re not sure what to use.

Thanks Hugh. I pinged my work laptop as a test, and it worked, so I was thinking that they’re generally responsive.

Here’s that PC’s setup. This particular network uses a router upstream of the ewon, providing internet access. Is there a setting in the ewon that I need to check, or do you think it could be a setting in that upstream router? I was hoping that since the ewon has internet access on its WAN port that pointing LAN devices at it (192.168.1.50) would provide them internet as well.

Hi Justin,

You’re right that using the Ewon as the gateway is the correct configuration when using the Ewon to provide Internet access to LAN devices. Can you attach a backup of the device so we can check on the configuration to make sure everything looks correct? If this is a Flexy, you can download one from the Ewon’s web interface under Diagnostic → Files Transfer by clicking “Support files” at the top right.

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (413 KB)

Thanks for taking a look at this.

It looks like a few of the parameters need to be updated to allow Internet access for LAN devices. You can update them in Setup → System → Storage → Tabular Edition → Edit COM cfg:

• NatItf: 2
  • FwrdToWAN: 1

After saving these new values you’ll need to reboot to apply them. Note that if NatItf is set to 2, all LAN devices must have the Ewon set as their gateway in order for you to access them, even if you’re not using the Ewon for Internet access on that device.

You can find a setup guide that goes over these parameters here (it’s for Cosy, but the parameters are the same on Flexy): SSH-0068-01-EN