GSM protocol error (7) - Telco Message Centre Number Issue

Hi Support,

I have a very interesting issue from my clients. I meant to send an email to support but I feel like it is better to raise it in here so my fellow Australian can find it in Google. This could be an issue only exposed to Australian users.

Here is how I can reproduce the problem with a Telstra SIM card.

The correct syntax for SMS destination is

However, if I enter the incorrect syntax like the one below:

The first recipient will receive the SMS but the last two, and there will be an entry “sms-GSM protocol error (7)” in the event log.

After this, I can’t send SMS anymore from this SIM card even if the syntax is correct. I have tried:

1. using the alarm configuration

2. sending SMS in Basic and adding Telstra message centre number"0418706700" in the command

All I got is “sms-GSM protocol error (6)”. I tried the SIM card in other Flexy units and the result is the same “sms-GSM protocol error (6)”.

I tried this again which caused GSM protocol error (7) in the first palce

Still getting “sms-GSM protocol error (6)”.

The only way we can find to fix this is to pull the SIM card out and put it into a phone. Then, in the phone setting, we can see the Telco Message Centre Number is changed to “0499647078”.
So we need to change it back to Telstra Telco Message Centre number “+61418706700” in the phone, and then put back to the Flexy. However, remember I have tried adding Telstra’s message service centre number in SENDSMS before and it didn’t work.

I have tested it with Vodafone SIM as well and am getting the same result. My phone shows Text centre is inactive when I pull the SIM out of Flexy and put it into my phone. I had to put “+61415011501” as message service centre number before I can send out SMS again.

I am not sure how this could happen. Message service centre number is configured in the hardware. Usually it is configured automatically. Somehow the incorrect syntax causes the hardware to load a wrong message service centre number. I can correct it on my phone but how to correct it in the Flexy? Can we send AT commands to the modem to fix it in BASIC?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi @Tom_Hu,

Thank you for letting us know about this! I will pass it along to our developers to investigate and I’ll let you know what I find out.

Kyle

Hi Tom,

I have been told:

" The 0 in “1323232,gsm, 0 ” is the SMSC center.

So did he try “1323232,gsm, 0061418706700 ” ?? "

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
In the phone, the correct syntax is “+61418706700”.
I tried “0418706700”, “+61418706700” and “0061418706700”
None of them works. and still getting GSM protocol error 7.
Tom

Kind of strange that you can change it to 0, but cannot change it back. I am looking into it.

“0430515596,gsm,0” worked until I typed in incorrect syntax “0430515596,gsm.0;0499647078,gsm,04342557424,gsm”.

Do you have a Flexy to test it with? I was wonder if this only happens in Australia.

Regards,
Tom

I don’t have a Flexy with a SIM with me today. You might want to try creating a ticket at mysupport.hms.se so the European team can take a look at it.

I talked to Belgium and they are going to try to reproduce this and check with R&D.

Awesome. Thank you Kyle.

Hi Kyle,

Just wondering if someone had any chance to test it?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I did send the information to R&D. I know they have been very busy with getting the 14.0 firmware finished up for release so they said, "Note that this won’t be an urgent case for the R&D as you need to misuse the device to reproduce it." So I know they are going to look at it, I just don’t know when…

Kyle

Thank you, Kyle.

Hopefully they will have time to look at it after the firmware 14 release.

Cheers,
Tom

Topic closed due to inactivity.