HMS-EN2SE-R - Can no longer get online with device to configure

I’ve been working with the adapter module in a network that has an Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5573 tied to the EN2SE-R Port 1 through a 1756-ENBT Ethernet module and a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet switch. The modules Serial port is tied to the serial port of an Allen Bradley SLC 5/03. I have had to experiment a bit but had gotten to the point that I was getting the SLC to show activity on its serial port. I tried to download another configuration to the HMS module which failed, generating the attached message. I am unable to get any other response now despite trying a new HMS module and trying to configure the module with a CompactLogix PLC. Adapter%20Com%20Fail

Hello,

If you change the IP of the module and adjust the IP in the module properties does this help? You were having no problems downloading the config over Ethernet before correct?

If this does not help I may suggest reinstalling the AOP. This download can be found here,

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/firmware-software/hms-aop-en2xx-r.zip?sfvrsn=bedabfd6_20

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nick,
I’ve tried changing the IP address with no change. I downloaded and reinstalled the files you linked and still get the same message. I’ve even tried to restore the Factory Default, which does not work because of the “keep alive activity”, whatever that is telling me. I have even tried a second HMS module that we have for the next project with the same result. I had successfully connected with the HMS adapter several times as I experimented with my lab mockup. I’ve already done a firmware upgrade on my 1756-ENBT module with no success. About the only piece I have not changed is my desktop Ethernet switch. Does this error message indicate to you where the fault lies, with my setup or the HMS?[/floatl]

Hello,

I cannot say I have seen this before, and to me it does not indicate anything specific. Since the issue is following a different module it makes me think something happened with the AOP software or the PC. Can you try disabling and enabling the Network card you are using?

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nick,

I tried using an ENet-IP driver in RSLinx and was able to identify the HMS module with the address 10.1.5.179. When I use that IP address during the configuration process in Logix Designer I am able to get online with the module. I’m not sure how I got that address, but at least I can play a bit again in my subnet.

I was finally able to get the HMS module configured to eliminate the IO Fault at my Logix PLC once I used another laptop’s BOOTP-DHCP Server to enter an IP address that was compatible with my subnetwork. I’m still missing something in my cfg that is preventing the HMS module from being happy. Perhaps the problem is in my RPI setting or one of the communication time settings in the HMS cfg. Either way it will have to wait until Wednesday. I appreciate anything you may spot that can be corrected.

Mark Hathaway

Progress Report 14-AUG-18.docx (590 KB)

log.txt (32.7 KB)

Hello Mark,

I am glad you have made some progress. We do not have information for decoding the log because it is always specific to the protocols being used in the application. In this case it seems you are using DF-1. Can you make sure the SLC is set up for half duplex df-1? This is the only version of df-1 that the device supports.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nick,

I am just getting a chance to play with my experimental network, ControlLogix-HMS-SLC5/03. The HMS module seems to have reset its IP address back to 10.1.15.179, so I will have to reload my address again. Is it going to do that every time it is powered off? I’m hoping to get more time to figure out what needs to be fixed to get the RS232 half working. Was there anything obvious in the configuration data that I sent your way?

Mark

I personally do not recommend using BOOTP, something could go wrong with that software in my experience. I recommend our IPconfig tool,

https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/software/hms-ipconfigtool.zip?sfvrsn=ff5b9ad6_46

I cannot really tell much about whether your configuration is correct because it is about connecting to the right page/elements/data points. This will always be application specific. The only thing I can tell is that you are getting communication in both direction.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello Nick,

Is there any significance to the Ethernet Ports 1 and 2 being labeled (In) and (Out) respectively? I am currently only tied to Ethernet Port 1. I can’t seem to get rid of the RED Subnet Status indicator at LED 5. Do I need to have the Control and Status Registers configured to really be able to go online and debug my communications?

Mark

Mark,

No, it is not required to use the control/status word, in fact I recommend it is not used unless you go over how it works in the manual. It can cause issues if not used properly. I think the In and out label would only matter if you are using DLR (device level ring), which is not very common with this device.

The 5th LED being red means there is a problem with the serial communication. This is caused normally by a timeout or unexpected response from the serial device. Since I have seen you are getting a response I do not think the problem is a timeout. I would double check the SLC is set to half duplex DF-1.

Best regards,
Nick

The PLC’s RS232 port is set for DF1 Half Duplex Slave.

*** I had powered off the network to see if the HMS module would retain its IP address following the loss and return of power. I used your IP configure program and was capturing the jpg file of my SLC port settings when I noticed the SLC’s RS232 indicator was flashing green. When I went online with both the ControlLogix and the SLC I found that the data is being exchanged. Oddly, the HMS module’s #5 LED remains RED. I am definitely seeing data flow between the two devices. Hopefully I can replicate the experience when we go to link the SLC 5/03 on the assembly floor to the BMS system. I’ll need to play a bit more to get better acquainted with your software in order to monitor the HMS when online. Thank you for your help.

Mark

Interesting, you do not REALLY have to worry about the LED being red if the data is present.

Thank you for the update,

Nick

Topic closed due to inactivity.