IPConfig does not find device

Hello everybody,
some basic information:

• using Anybus CompactCom Starterkit - EtherCAT Brick
  • EtherCAT communication with Master is OK - using the windows example code

I’m trying to configure web and ftp servers in this module. EoE is enabled - abcc_obj_cfg.h, Attribute 17 and ESI file. In addition, Ethernet attributes 3 and 6 (Web and FTP servers) are enabled.

When I try to connect to the device using IPConfig (connected directly to the PC), nothing is shown. Now here’s the weird part: at the company we’ve also developed a solution with Profinet Brick. So, just for fun, I changed the modules and enabled Profinet attributes and… IPConfig finds the device! I spent half a day trying to find something, but I couldn’t.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

Can you please send me the serial number of the module to check if it has a MAC ID?
Maybe it is an old hardware which doesn’t have a MAC ID and therefore no IT functions are available.

Best regards
TareQ

Hello TareQ,

the serial number (Anybus Object 0x01, Attr 3) is 0xA04D8E5A.

Best regards
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

This is actually a new module and it should run the IT functions.
You have mentioned that you changed the modules and enabled Profinet attributes and it works…
Can you please give me more information and details about the changes you have done?

Best regards
TareQ

Hey Tareq,

sure, the changes are:

• PROFINET OBJECT (0xF6):
    - in file abcc_obj_cfg, PRT_OBJ_ENABLE is TRUE;
    - Profinet IO Object configured: all attributes are false, except attributes 25, 26, 27 in file abcc_obj_cfg.h
    - the attributes in file abcc_identification.h are configured, but they don’t represent a problem in this case.

The Ethernet object was already configured and hasn’t changed, but here is the configuration:

• ETHERNET OBJECT (0xF9):
    • in file abcc_identification.h, Attr 1 is false
    • in file abcc_obj_cfg.h, attributes 3, 5 and 6 are enabled and with their values are true, others are false.

Best regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias,

That is very strange… Do you mean, Doing this changes on the module 0xA04D8E5A will make it visible in IPConfig tool? Is there any hardware differences?

Can you try to set all objects to False (keep the default setting of the file abcc_obj_cfg.h) and make a new test?

Best regards
TareQ

Hey Tareq,

oh, no, no, no. I switched modules: instead of the EtherCAT module, I used a Profinet module! I knew that with the Profinet module and the older code, the module is found by the IP Config.
What I have is a single code, which enables Profinet, EtherCAT and Ethernet, running in two modules:

• Profinet module: I can find it with IP Config
  • EtherCAT module: I cannot find it with IP Config

(sorry if the description of the situation was not clear)

I’ll try this test that you suggested and return the result as soon as I can.
Thanks for the help,
Jeremias

giving the results :

Hi Jeremias,

Please make sure you have your network configuration setup correctly to support EoE.
The exact configuration process may vary, but here this application note covers a few common scenarios.

hms-ethernet-over-ethercat.pdf (451.4 KB)

Best regards
TareQ