Issue with AB7630

Hello,

In our Oil & Gas site, hundreds Anybus Gateway with reference AB7607 / AB7607-SE are used since 2005.
So far, we are satisfied with your product regarding reliability & maintenance.

However, as per one of our Company program called “Life-Cycle-Management”, the replacement by recent product has been decided in our Electrical Control System.
Then the conclusion come to use the same product family.
We received advise to use Anybus Gateway reference AB7630-F and we were provided one for testing in our simulator.

But we face several problems:
• How do we know that we have the latest firmware?
• is it possible to use RSNetWorx to configure AB7630? Does AB7630 serve as bridge? By that I mean, is it possible to browse DeviceNet network being connected to Ethernet port without using Anybus Configuration Manager? (We are able to configure and browse AB7607 with RSNetWorx).
• is it possible to access the memory where status data are stored? See your document “ABX-DEV-EIP AB7607 User Manual 1_11.pdf” page 61 (status assembly). We require this information. AB7607 has this information stored on address 256 (70 words). AB7630 EthernetIP adapter, ModbusTCP server manual on chapter 5.5.2 claims that these addresses are reserved. I tried to read them expecting status data but Modscan32 returns an error.
• Finally there is one very important feature that we need. For safety reasons, we need to stop executing our program in case input and output map of Anybus scan list doesn’t match what we expect. For that we have hardcoded scan list implemented in our PLC which we compare with data extracted from Scanlist Object Class 91h (obtained by CIP messaging). By Class 91h we can poll for every DeviceNet address. In the response there is an offset in the memory map and the size. Knowing these 3 information(address, offset and size) we are able to rebuild the order in which data are stored in the I/O map, compare it with our hardcoded scan list and in case of difference - freeze data - preventing unexpected actions from SCADA system (because we pass the information there). We already do that with AB7607 but the question is if HMS could release us from that by implementing this feature directly in AB7630 and put the information in the memory where we could read the via Modbus TCP. As an example, we would see it as 2 tables (both input and output map) where the index is a node address and the value contains the offset in memory and size. If it is not possible, we would like to receive recommendation how to do this with AB7630.

Could you confirm or not that the replacement of product AB7607 by AB7630-F is suitable?
Do you have another reference to replace AB7607? like AB7916?
Could you indicate if replacement by new reference impact existing configuration or program in our PLC?

Thank
Best regards,
Olivier SAUVAL

But we face several problems:
• How do we know that we have the latest firmware?
You can check the firmware version from the about tab of the internal web page. These devices are in the mature phase of their life cycle and are shipped with the latest firmware.

is it possible to use RSNetWorx to configure AB7630? Does AB7630 serve as bridge? By that I mean, is it possible to browse DeviceNet network being connected to Ethernet port without using Anybus Configuration Manager? (We are able to configure and browse AB7607 with RSNetWorx).
This is not a transparent bridge. You will need to configure the DeviceNet network to pull data from devices where it is stored in a buffer. This data can then be accessed from the other interface of the device. https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/application-notes/hms-sci-1204-090%20%20.pdf?sfvrsn=4cfcaad6_10

• is it possible to access the memory where status data are stored? See your document “ABX-DEV-EIP AB7607 User Manual 1_11.pdf” page 61 (status assembly). We require this information. AB7607 has this information stored on address 256 (70 words). AB7630 EthernetIP adapter, ModbusTCP server manual on chapter 5.5.2 claims that these addresses are reserved. I tried to read them expecting status data but Modscan32 returns an error.
There is a Control and status word that you can access this will be in the first bytes of data accesses. See section 3.2 of the devicenet user manual.

• Finally there is one very important feature that we need. For safety reasons, we need to stop executing our program in case input and output map of Anybus scan list doesn’t match what we expect. For that we have hardcoded scan list implemented in our PLC which we compare with data extracted from Scanlist Object Class 91h (obtained by CIP messaging). By Class 91h we can poll for every DeviceNet address. In the response there is an offset in the memory map and the size. Knowing these 3 information(address, offset and size) we are able to rebuild the order in which data are stored in the I/O map, compare it with our hardcoded scan list and in case of difference - freeze data - preventing unexpected actions from SCADA system (because we pass the information there). We already do that with AB7607 but the question is if HMS could release us from that by implementing this feature directly in AB7630 and put the information in the memory where we could read the via Modbus TCP. As an example, we would see it as 2 tables (both input and output map) where the index is a node address and the value contains the offset in memory and size. If it is not possible, we would like to receive recommendation how to do this with AB7630.
I think the status word and live list would help you accomplish this. With the live list you can see id a node is configured and not faulted or if it has faulted out. This sounds like it should give you similar results with out having to compare the full IO map
There is also an offline option where you can freeze data when the network goes offline. As well as an offline node option to freeze or clear data.

Deryck

Hi

Thank a lot for you support.

Please, could you answer the following questions:

• You said that these devices are in mature phase. Does it mean that soon they will be obsolete? What’s their life cycle (Mature – Limited – Exit – Obsolete)?

• We need Ethernet(or Modbus TCP) to DeviceNet(Scanner) gateway. Can You recommend us a product that is transparent? Is AB7916 suitable to replace AB7607/AB7664?

Hello @Olivier,

You can find details on the product life cycle here: https://www.anybus.com/support/anybus-product-life-cycle In this case it means the device in not actively being developed. I am not aware of any plans to move the device into the limited life cycle. If it was I would expect to see a replacement device produced.

Please reach out to your local distributor or local HMS sales office for recommendations on devices. https://www.anybus.com/contact

Deryck