Netbiter LAN Network Keeps Crashing

Hey all,

I am having an issue with a new netbiter that was just installed. On the LAN network there is a Micro850 PLC, HMI, a datalogging computer and 3 VFD’s. Everything is connected and pingable but when I try to log into any of the devices via a quickconnect connection I get about 5-10 seconds of communication before the LAN network becomes unresponsive. I am not able to VNC to the HMI, Pull Up the Micro850 in connected components, SSH into the datalogger, or pull up the VFD configs without this crash happening. To start detecting network devices again I must disconnect and change my computer ip via quickconnect or resync the netbiter device online and then reconnect. I have tried various firmware flashes and even rolled back firmware without success. I have about 45 Netbiter’s running identical network configurations throughout the USA and this is the only one that is acting up like this. I have successfully connected to other netbiters today so I am 100% it is an issue with this new netbiter. Any help diagnosing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hello Scott,

This sounds like you might be activating something on the switch to protecting the network from something like an ip conflict or a device not in the subnetwork. Is the Netbiters LAN IP unique and in the same sub network? What i suspect is happening when you synchronize the Netbiter it reboots causing the link to drop and the switch re-enables the port.

Can you provide me with the MAC/system ID? With it I can take a look at the configuration and logs to see if anything stands out as a possible cause.

System ID 003011FA53A4

If this helps, When I log into the quick connect I can ping all the devices. I setup a constant ping to one of the network devices and was able to ping until I try to actually connect to a network device then the ping request times out after a few seconds.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Once you lose connection to the network are you able to load the Netbiters local webpages at the LAN address?

Deryck

I don’t see anything wrong with the configuration.

Can I take the device out of remote access mode so I can download the logs from the device?

Deryck

I am working remotely but I finally talked to the IT guy onsite. They are still waiting for a hardline internet connection. In the interim they are using a cellular hotspot connected to a switch to provide internet to the building. The hotspot was in a closet and they just moved it out to a window to get a better signal so this might also be the issue. I have had success running off hotspots in past so I didn’t think it would be an issue.

Scott

Hi Scott,

That would probably explain the issues. When i tried to synchronize it kept timing out similar to when an EC 350 has a poor cell connection. I was about to ask if there were any issues with the WAN network. You were able to connect but you were not getting enough through put for a good good VPN connection. This same issue is giving me issues with synchronizing and pulling the logs. I was able to get it out of remote access mode but not download the logs or synchronize back to RA mode.

Once the WAN connection is improved all these issues should go away.

Deryck

Okay, I appreciate the help Deryck. Thank you for your time.

Scott

Deryck,

We had a Tech onsite test the local internet. We do not see any blocked ports and can reach all the netbiter servers on the same Ethernet line that gets plugged into the Netbiter. The download speed is averaging 29mbps and upload is about 11mbps. We are able to bypass the Netbiter and connect to all the LAN devices without issue. We are pretty sure its something wrong with the Netbiter. I was able to have the onsite tech extract the logs if you could please review and let me know what you see in the logs that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott Boughton

Hi Scott,

Would there be anything blocking the netbiter from connecting to our servers? Looking though the logs I see a lot of connection timeout and connection exceptions occurring.(\log\argoscore\syslog.0.txt) Another log file indicates the link keeps going down this could be the reason that the server connections are timing out.(\log\messages) Could the switch is triggering some loop prevention measures or similar that is killing the link?

I do not see anything wrong with the Netbiter. It keeps trying to reconnect to our servers but is reporting the connection is timing out.

Deryck

No restrictions that we can find. We were referencing this tech document and the onsite tech from the ISP was unable to find any restrictions to any of the servers. He did mention there was an occasional latency spike to about 900ms for a few seconds. Normal connection was about 50ms to 300ms. He believes these spikes are caused because the signal is originally coming from a hotspot that gets picked up by an Asus Wi-Fi router to pass connection onto an Ethernet network.

Scott Boughton

Netbiter Ports and Server Addresses.pdf (102 KB)

It sounds like this unstable network connection is the issue. It looks like it is good enough where the netbiter connects enough to show online but not good enough to transfer a lot of data.

Deryck