NTP Auto Adjust for DST and UTC Clarification

Per the options of a Flexy 205 on Firmware: 13.2s0PR (#518), and the Clock Setup fields, I have some questions.

1. If the Record data in UTC is selected, then that means the tag history the TimeInt and TimeStr will both represent the UTC time, correct?
  2. If the Record data in UTC is not selected, then that means the TimeInt and TimeStr tag history values will represent the current time in the Timezone is set, correct?
  3. I want to be sure there’s no way of setting the TimeInt to be UTC and TimeStr to be the current time representing the Timezone.
  4. If I have a device in Chicago and it’s one CST/CDT timezone, what options should I select from Clock Setup to ensure, all my tag history values for TimeStr at least is the representation of the current time in the CST timezone but also ensure one DST hits that is automatically adjusts the CDT (spring forward in the spring).

I guess I’m just wanting clarification on those few things and to see an example of how I’d configure it per the last question to ensure I understand the features and functions.

Answer

This should answer 1-4. . .

As per UTC Timestamp Logging, this is how the logging works for these features within the eWON whether or not the “Record data in UTC” option is selected. . .

• Box unchecked: the Flexy uses a timestamp based on its local time.
  • Box checked: the Flexy uses a timestamp based on UTC format.

Historical Data Files

Event Log

Binary Historical Data File

See the UTC Timestamp Logging document for additional detail regarding that option and other features or records where it’s applicable.

To answer number 4. . .

I confirmed on a call to support with Kyle about this and he confirmed that having the Timezone option set with the needed timezone and checking the Update clock via NTP option will ensure the DST changes are applied accordingly for the time zone specified.

1 Like

In Setup | Main | General, be sure to have the Timezone field in the Clock Setup set to an actual time zone where Daylight Saving occurs. I ran into an issue today that Deryck helped me figure out where I still had ~(UTC-6) and the eWON that’s on CST did not update as expected. Therefore, that is an important part of it, set it to a timezone where DST occurs or else it won’t update auto-magically.