Problems with AB7316-B Communicator CAN-Modbus RTU

I am trying to configure the AB7316 using ACM Communicator CAN ver. 1.7.1.1 and the situation is the following:

1:) Reading data from CAN device (“query-response”) and writing it to “input data table”, e.g. to address 0x02 , to be read as Modbus address 400002 works OK.

2.) Writing data to CAN device (“produce”) works OK in “Cyclically” and “Single Shot” modes, only if the data to be written is a byte or a word constant.

3.) I can’t write data from “output data table” to CAN device in any mode. Modes “On Data Change” and “Trigger Byte” don’t work, both with constants or with data from “output data table”.

4.) I can’t write data to CAN device using Modbus commands. Writing to Modbus address 401026 will correctly write a word to “output data table” bytes 0x202 and 0x203 - I can then read it back from "output data table " using Modbus read commands, but this data is never sent to the CAN device. The “On Data Change” produce transaction is never executed.

I loaded the firmware version 1.13 (the .fwp file).
Is it possible to somehow get an older version of the firmware or ACM Communicator software, maybe this would solve the problem?

The serial number is: A060646C

Thank you in advance!

Hi @Luka_Matic,

I don’t believe this is a firmware problem.

Can you send me the configuration file?

It sounds like you are correctly writing to the Output Buffer, but your CAN Produce transaction, to send the data to the CAN network is not correct.

luka1.hcg (4.1 KB)

OK, here is the config file “luka1.hcg”. The “BIC2200” is a two-way AC<-> DC 2.2 kW power converter with CAN interface.

-Transaction #1: Query-Response, cyclically every 1000 ms, to read the config word of BIC2200’s (address 0xC2) and write it to AB7316’s (input data table) word 0x0002. WORKS OK.

-Transaction #3: A single shot to initialize the config word (0xC2) of BIC2200. WORKS OK.

-Transaction #4: Also a single shot, to turn the DC power output of BIC2200 on. Also WORKS OK

-Transaction #6: An attempt to execute a “produce” transaction triggered by the byte 0x202 (output data table). DOESN’T WORK, although writing to 0x202 and reading from it works OK on the Modbus side. Tried it also in on data change mode, DIDN’T WORK either.

The BIC2200 works OK, but I am starting to suspect a hardware fault inside the AB7316. I connected an oscilloscope to CAN_H and CAN_L wires, and I can see that the transactions in “on data change” and “trigger byte” modes are never initiated. The BIC2200 responds correctly when commands on CAN are sent to it.

Hi @Luka_Matic,

Can you verify that the Communicator is in Run Mode when you are writing to the trigger byte?

Also, it looks like you have the trigger byte in the High Byte (this is a Modbus RTU device, so x200 is High byte, x201 is Low, x202 is High, etc. Can you try putting the trigger byte in x203 to see if that works?

luka2.hcg (5.5 KB)

Hi Kyle,

The Communicator is in the Run Mode when writing to Trigger byte, see the picture attached. I configured transactions 6,7,8,9 triggered by odd and even bytes 0x202-0x205.

When the Communicator starts, LEDs 5 and 6 are green and ON. When I start polling on Modbus, LED 2 goes green (ON) and LED 3 blinks green on every Modbus command. After a few attempts to write to 40126 and 40127 (both writing and reading these addresses on Modbus works OK, but the corresponding CAN commands are never sent), LED 5 starts flashing red along with LED 6 flashing green (LEDs 5 and 6 flashing alternately, not simultaneously).

Hi @Luka_Matic,

The LEDs are indicating errors or timeouts on the bus, which is causing the Anybus to go into Idle mode. Are you able to take a CAN Trace on this bus so we can see what is happening?

I would also recommend only using the odd registers for the trigger bytes since this is a Modbus RTU application.

Have you tried a configuration with just one Produce Transaction (if possible) to see if you can get that to work? It’s possible that some of the other Transactions are causing an error, causing it to go into Idle, and leading us to chase this trigger byte issue, when that’s not even the real problem.

If you want to create a case at support.hms-networks.com, that will put you in touch with your local support team who can possibly set up a call with you to go over this.

161.53.68.198:5800 view5390

CANbus device (AC/DC power converter) manual:
BIC-2200-E-manual.pdf (650.2 KB)

ANYBUS configuration:
luka2.hcg (5.5 KB)