Proxy Server As Hostname

Hello,

I’ve got a customer trying to install an eWon Cosy 131 (EC61330 w/ 14.1 s0) we sent them that was pre-configured to use DHCP. Upon trying to get it online, the plant tech was told by his IT department he needed to configure the device to use a proxy server, and could only provide him with the hostname of the server. The device’s web interface will only allow the IP address of a proxy server to be added; what would be the best way to get around this?

I have no knowledge of the plant’s network systems, and very little knowledge of proxy servers in general. If the eWon unit cannot be configured to point to the proxy server’s hostname, is there information I could give to their IT department to make this work, or would I have to find another device that can accept a hostname for the proxy server and put that between the eWon and the customer’s network?

Thanks.

You can resolve the host name to an IP address by opening a command prompt and typing:

nslookup thehostname.domain.com

But I would just ask the IT people for it. It won’t properly resolve unless you are querying their DNS server unless it’s on the public internet.

As a final update to this, the IT department wouldn’t provide an IP because they insisted it would not stay the same, however we just manually checked the IP of the given hostname and entered it; its one year later and the IP has not changed. Fortunately, the customer’s tech knows the process for obtaining and setting this if needed.

I’ve seen mentions of scripting functions in various manuals; is this something that could potentially be automated with a script that runs on startup which obtains the IP of a hostname and writes it to the correct configuration parameter?