Quick download config file CAN CME-PN

We are planning to use the IXXAT CME/PN Gateway in one of our machines. This machine has ten different configurations, resulting in 10 different configuration files for the gateway.

We are looking for an easy way to download these configuration files to the gateway, without having to open the CANopen configuration studio. Is it possible to download a config file by using a batchfile? Or maybe there is some other way?

Hello @VanR,

I am not sure that this is possible, I am checking with my colleagues in Germany to see if there are additional options besides the configuration studio.

Deryck

There is no way to download the configuration to the CME / PN except the Configuration Studio.
The download also includes the configuration of the process image that is exchanged with the PLC
-hint:
the configuration of the process image interface must be identical with the process image of the GSDML file that is used to integrate the CME / PN in the hardware configuration of the PLC

"This machine has ten different configurations, resulting in 10 different configuration files for the gateway "

Are these 10 different configurations a subset of one main configuration ?
if yes:

• I suggest to download the main configuration that covers all different configurations to the CME / PN to integrate the CME / PN in the hardware configuration of the PLC with the main GSDML file the PLC must know which version of the different configurations is to be used:
    the PLC can configure the slave assignment according the current configuration by SDO

My colleague in Germany said he would be able to assist with this.

If no:

• each configuration requires that the individual configuration is downloaded to the CME / PN by the Configuration Studio that the CME / PN is integrated by the individual GSDML file in the hardware configuration of the PLC

Hi Deryck,
Thank you for your reply.

The 10 different configurations are indeed always a subset of one main configuration. Unfortunately I don’t understand the suggested solution. Should I always use the main / largest configuration for the CMD / PN and use that main GSDML file in the PLC? Or should I edit the main GSDML file to match the real configuration of the machine (resulting in on gateway configuration and 10 GSDML files)?

Hi Deryck,
Thank you for your reply.

The 10 configurations are indeed a subset of one large configuration. Unfortunately I don’t really understand the suggested solution. Do you mean we should always work with the largest (complete) configuration in both CME / PNand PLC (GSDML)? Or is there a possibility to always use the largest configuration in the CME / PN and use 10 different (stripped) GSDML files?

That being said, I still hope to find an easier way to download the configuration to the CME / PN. The plan is to download the software during a Factory Acceptance Test of our machine. This test is executed by a mechanical assembly engineer, without much knowledge about electronics / software. We would like to make it as easy as possible, saving time and more importantly avoiding mistakes.

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, we do not use these device often in our office and I am checking with our team in Germany on this. My understanding is that you would use one gsdml file that describes all the configurations of the device. Then when it is added to the plc the same GSDML file is used but only the modules that apply the the device being used is going to be added to the project.

Deryck

1 Like

Hi Deryck,
Is there any chance I can get in touch with your german colleagues? Since I am based in the Netherlands, communication would be a bit easier.

submitting a issue to mysupport@hms.se will put you in touch with your local support team.

Deryck

I tried to send a mail to mysupport@hms.se but this e-mailaddress does not exist.
I did register and submit the issue at mysupport.hms.se

Apologies mysupport.hms.se is correct.

Topic closed due to inactivity.