Reach eWON Flexy through usb to ethernet adapter

It is possible to reach an eWON Flexy through a usb to ethernet adpater ?
I want to be able to make the initial set up of eWON remotely with colleague’s computer. But they don’t have admin right so they are not able to modify their IP config. I want to use this kind of adapter to avoid this issue but it seems I cannot reach the LAN ip adress.

https://www.inmac-wstore.com/startech-com-reseau-adaptateur-usb-3-0-vers-gigabit-ethernet-nic-usb-vers-rj45-pour-reseau-10-100-1000-adaptateur-reseau-usb-3-0-gigabit-ethernet/p2647099.htm#coAgent=737684&utm_source=effiliation&utm_medium=affiliation&utm_term=2647099&utm_campaign=effiliation_1275&coTracking=101&coagent=1118410&utm_content=1395102935&eff_cpt=22786620&eff_sub1=fbb2e4c1-cc54-41c9-918d-b093e0699a06

Are you using eBuddy? eBuddy allows you to connect via an EZ-DHCP address, so you shouldn’t have to change the IP address of the network adapter.

You should be able to use any type of Ethernet adapter (as long as the drivers are installed on the PC), it doesn’t make a difference if it’s connected directly to the PC or to the PC through a USB-to-Ethernet adapter, as long as you connect to the LAN port of the Ewon.

1 Like

I am but my colleagues won’t be authorized to install eBuddy on their computer.

So you confim that I should be able to reach an out of box eWON through adapter at 10.0.0.53 on the LAN 1?
As I cannot that why I asked.

Yes. You can reach 10.0.0.53 on the LAN interface. If you can’t reach it, then your network adapter is probably not on the right subnet and the IP address needs to be changed. However, if your network adapter is on the right subnet (10.0.0.0/24) and you still can’t reach it, you should factory reset the Ewon.

If this is something you need to do on a regular basis, I would recommend getting your IT department to install eBuddy for you.

1 Like

I can reach it directly from my RJ45 computer port. (I am admin of my laptop)

The adapter has no IP address.
I can see the eWON on eBuddy through it.
Using the adapter I can access the ez-DHCP address but not the LAN one. Strange…

Anyway I will ask to IT to install eBuddy of the distant colleagues computer

This is normal. It’s how TCP/IP networking works. You need to be on the same subnet to reach a device that you are directly connected to. You would have to change the IP address on your network adapter to 10.0.0.X in order to reach the LAN address.

The way eBuddy works is it detects the IP address of your network adapter (which will be an IPIPA 169.x.x.x address if you don’t have a static one assigned), and then it assigns an IP address on that subnet to the Ewon so you can reach it.

Yes, I think this is the best solution.