Restore backup via eCatcher?

From my customer:

We have a customer who has lost some alarming settings on an ewon connected to a PLC and we just want to restore to a backup we saved before this was sold. is there a way to do this?

My gut says it would be risky, but can they restore a backup via eCatcher? Better yet, can we just dig into the backup file to see what they had the alarm setpoints set to?

Hi Tom,

If the backup is from another device I would not recommend restoring the backup. Depending on exactly what part of the alarms were lost and where he is restoring them from, it might make more sense to only copy the tags over or parts of the config files needed.

You can open the backup.tar with something like 7zip and extract the files needed. You can also remove parameters you don’t want restored and then FTP the files onto the root directory.

Deryck

It’s from the same unit.

Where can I find the alarm settings inside the backup file? Is it human readable? Could they open it up and just manually re-do the alarm settings by reading out of the backup?

If you only have the backup the tags are stored in the config.txt file in a semicolon delimited format. If you change the semicolons to commas it can be directly opened in excel but needs to be changed back to be imported into the flexy. If you have it on a device you can export the var_list from the device and do the same thing.

Deryck

Okay thanks.

Do you guys still have that eWON Tag Generator excel sheet floating around?

There is a copy here.
Where can I find the eWON TAG GENERATOR file - Ewon Support / Ewon Flexy - hms.how (hms-networks.com)

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I snagged the latest copy.

You’re welcome, Have a good week!