Rockwell PLC - Slow upload/download/online

We have a customer who has two Cosy units connecting to Rockwell PLCs.

The Internet speed is very good. The ping time to PLC is 70-80 ms via eCatycher, but when they are trying to get online, upload program and download program from/to the PLC, it is very slow in Studio5000

We have set up a demo system with a Rockwell PLC in our office for the customer to test and they can’t reproduce the speed issue on the same laptop they have.

Once we told them to setup the Ewon and eCatcher both in TCP mode for the VPN, and the customer said it looks to be twice or maybe 3 times faster than what it was before.

Is there a particular question to this post? Or are you looking for additional information?

Hello Kevin,
Sorry I accidently submitted it and it wouldn’t let me add my question, as the post had to be approved first.

We just wanted to know why changing it to TCP, has an affect on ]downloading/uploading the PLC program? Do you reckon it is the server connected to the WAN port? Because for 4G connection, there is less restriction on the WAN side.

Hello,

Switching it to TCP allows the connection to be more stable. UDP uses a broadcast type of communication as it just sends out the data regardless of packet loss. This allows for faster transmission on secure lines.

TCP, on the other hand, is more of a conversation. The TCP connection will request packets if they have been lost during transmission. While TCP connection is slower, it allows for more integrity on the communication.

the server connected to the WAN port could allows for my consistent communcation speeds with the the need for Flexy to act as it’s own modem. It could also be an issue with Port communication as well.

1 Like