RSLOGIX V20 16#FE05 error w/ AB7649

I have three AB7649 gateways. Two are connected to a 1756-L73 programmed with RSLogix V33.011 and they are functioning fine. One is connected to a 1756-L43 using RSLogix V20.19. and gives the error “(Code 16#fe05) Connection request Error; Invalid Input data size.” on thE module in the PLC.

Both are programmed using your EDS, and both have identical data sizes. All configurations are identical in the AB7649’s, except for the IP’s obviously.

Are there any differences in how you must configure the module in older versions of RSLogix? Should we try programming it as a generic module in the V20 PLC?

Thanks!!

You can use the EDS file with version 20.19 so there is no difference in how they’re configured in version 33.

The error indicates that the gateway is sending a different size than what’s configured in the PLC. This may be a case where the download was not success so please go to Tools > Address Overview in the Anybus Configuration Manager to confirm the Input and Output size, then download to the gateway. You can also do an upload to confirm the download was a success.

Then, in RSLogix, confirm the sizes match the gateway and download if necessary.

If you are still getting the error you could try configuring the gateway as a generic module, but I’m not sure that would fix the problem. We may need to get a packet capture to confirm the gateway is sending the correct size. Could you also provide us with the serial number and a copy of the configuration file?

Thanks for the rapid response and clarification on the RSLogix version issue.

Unfortunately I am not on site and cannot connect with the gateways in question. I have an engineer there directly connected.

I have attached all of the different permutations of configurations we have tried. The PLC is configured for 125 Dints in and 125 Dints out. So we tried 496 & 500 bytes and 124 & 125 in every combination, and couldn’t get it to work. The Profinet side was left at the default 512 while we tried the different configs. I realize that we have to straighten that out to get the mapping correct once we’re connected, but that shouldn’t affect the connection to the connection on the Enet I/P side in the meantime, should it?

The strange thing is we left the I/O at the default 512 on both gateways successfully communicating with the one PLC.

My understanding from this diagram is that the Input size on the gateway should match the Input size on the PLC.

image001.jpg

I am trying to find someone on site who has Wireshark and knows how to use it so we can see the traffic from it trying to connect.

Thanks for your help so far!

image002.jpg

image003.png

image004.png

image005.png

image006.png

image007.png

Sorry, the PLC is configured for 125 Dints in and 124 Dints out.

image001.jpg

I didn’t receive the attachments.

Make sure he has the correct data type set in Logix:

No, the sizes on the Profinet side don’t effect the Eth/IP connection.

Correct, it’s always from the perspective of the master.

I understand this isn’t always going to be possible, but it would be a big help to figure out what the issue is. Has he tried swapping the gateway with another one?

Also make sure that the Control/Status word is disabled if it’s not being used. It will add 2 bytes to the Input and Output sizes.

So you would want to have 500 bytes in and 496 bytes out for the gateway with the Control/status words disabled.

Ok. So the type is set to DINT in both the ones that work and the one that doesn’t. I will forward that info. Thanks!!

image008.jpg

image009.png

image010.png

image011.png

image012.png

image013.png

Sorry. Lot of stuff going on today.

image008.jpg

image009.png

image010.png

image011.png

image012.png

image013.png

CC06 Anybus config.zip (11.1 KB)

Perhaps this will help but you set the data in bytes in the ACM.
1byte=1Sint
2bytes= 1int
4bytes = 1dint

Thanks, that’s what I thought. The weird this is the two gateways that are working have the PLC cfg’d with DINT data types and the default of 512 in and out on the gateway. But maybe RSlogix V33 handles cfg mismatched differently. Both are set to “compatible” and 3.028 while the module is 3.029. I guess we will try changing to INT’s in the non-functioning one before we bother you again. Once again thanks for all for all of the help and especially the rapid response!!

image002.jpg

image003.png

image004.png

image017.png

image018.png

image019.png

Sounds good. Let us know whether or not you get the issue fixed and if you have any other questions.

Thanks. What should we look for in Wireshark? If you have a screen shot example of what the transaction should look like that would be great.

If you get the Wireshark please attach it to this thread and we can go over it with you.

Didn’t have a hub so didn’t get Wireshark working. Solution that worked for us was to retrograde to generic ethernet module on the PLC program. Thanks again for all of your timely help. Have a great weekend!!

image008.jpg

image009.png

image010.png

image011.png

image012.png

image013.png

1 Like

I’m glad you got it working! Thanks for the update!