Sending emails using HMI

My HMI is currently connected to the eWON cosy 131’s LAN port and I can communicate with it remotely through eCatcher however my alarm emails on the HMI are not sending now. How do I make it so my HMI can send emails while connected to the Cosy?

It sounds like your HMI will need internet access through the LAN so that it can send emails.

This is possible by changing a few advanced parameters in the Cosy which will remove the segregation between the LAN and WAN interfaces in the eWON device however this is NOT recommended.

By removing the segregation between the LAN and WAN interfaces of the eWON,
you are inherently reducing the network security. By default the eWON segregates
both the internal and external interfaces of the eWON to ensure there is no
cross-talk between the two networks. However, by disabling this and allowing full
routing between the networks, you inherently open yourself up for additional risks

You can allow WAN to LAN by changing the following 3 advanced configuration parameters:

NatItf = 2 (Nat and TF on WAN)
VPNRedirect = 0 (Allow traffic outside the VPN tunnel)
FwrdToWAN = 1 (Forward LAN traffic to WAN)

These settings can be found / changed in the interface of the device by clicking Settings/Maintenance and clicking the show advanced options box.

Once the box is checked you will see the following:

Click edit com configuration and search for the 3 advanced parameters here:

To edit the parameter value, double click on the field. This will open a window that will allow you to change the value. Once the values are changed make sure you click Save.

You will need to reboot the device for the changes to take effect. You can do this by power cycling the device manually or clicking the reboot button under the maintenance section in the interface of the Cosy.

Changing LAN device’s default gateways
After you change the NATITF parameter, you will disabling our plugNroute feature which allows LAN devices to communicate with the eWON device without setting their default gateway. Now that the plugNroute feature is disabled, you will need to go into each of your LAN devices and set their default gateway to the eWON LAN IP.

Setting LAN device’s DNS
Lastly, you will need to set a valid DNS for your HMI and any other device that you want to have internet access. Using google’s public DNS is an option if you are unsure (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.).

1 Like