Sending Texts - GSM Protocol Error 23514

Hello all,

I have a new installation of 2 units. Both units have the same configuration. A backup was taken from one, then loaded onto another (with some minor connection/naming tweaks). One unit works, one does not.
The unit that is not sending texts, comes up with a GSM protocol error. It did send out texts when I first connected the unit, but further testing for other alarms, could not get the unit to send any more texts, couldn’t get the unit to send the original text again either. The problem sounds similar to this thread:

The only difference is that a reset/restart does not help.

Items I’ve tried:
Restart unit
Turn off maintained internet connection
Erased the config and reloaded my backup (backup was from before the first text message that was able to be sent out)
The internet connection seems very stable (although this probably has no bearing on the SMS portion of the modem)
Firmware is up to date (as of last week): 14.0s02

I was not able to switch the SIM cards from the working unit to the non working unit. Ran out of time unfortunately.

Backup with support files attached.

Thanks in advance
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (85 KB)

Hi @Controller

Can you try and send out the text messages using an email to sms relay like what’s described in the guide below?

Sending Emails with a Flexy.docx (433.3 KB)

Hi Tim,

Yes that would probably be the workaround. The units are set up for emails as well as text messages, and the email portion is seemingly working on both.
Just strange that one unit can text, the other can not with nearly identical configurations. Both have great cell reception.

Hi @Controller

I’d recommend the Email to SMS just because it’s free and you can avoid the 0.3 Euro charge per message for sending SMS messages from our relay. Are both of these devices on the same eCatcher account?

Hey Tim,

I’m not trying to use the relay. I have FLB-3205 cards (4G North America Cell Modems) installed.

Hi @Controller

sorry for the misunderstanding. I did notice one thing that might be an issue based on the firmware version of your modem.

aug-0077-00-en-sib-fix-for-4g-modem.pdf (1.2 MB)

Could you try going through the update procedure in this document and then if it’s still not working, try and take a backup of the working device and restore it on this one?

Hi Tim,

I just tried the Fix tool. It’s telling me “This Ewon is safe (No fix Needed)”

The unit already has the backup loaded that was taken from the operational unit.

Hello,

My colleague was just telling me there seems to be some kind of bug with the fix tool for the 5.04 firmware. Can you try and update the device using the FTP fix described in the document?

Hi Tim

I’ve updated the modem firmware. Unfortunately no change.

I’ve attached backups from the working and non working units.
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (174.5 KB)
MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (336.5 KB)

Hi @Controller

We’re seeing this error message in the logs can you verify that the network isn’t being blocked by Rogers? It looks like there’s a GSM protocol error, this typically happens when either the SIM card isn’t set to allow SMS messages or the cell carrier is blocking it