Tech

I have a Flexy 201. I was attempting to test with a cellular expansion card. I ran into issues.

I decided to start over and set up using the wired ethernet connection to the WAN instead.

However, in the internet connection wizzard, my only option to click now it “no internet connection”…

Why aren’t there any other options showing in the drop down now?

It sounds like there’s been a glitch that’s prevented the Ewon from recognizing the cellular card. If you reboot the device, does the option reappear?

If not, can you try powering it down completely, then removing and reseating the cellular card before rebooting and trying again?

If at that point you’re still having issues, please capture a backup with support files so we can take a look at the device’s logs. You can do this in eBuddy by selecting the device, clicking Backup/Restore, then making sure to check “include support files” before clicking through the rest of the dialogs.

Thanks Hugh.

Allow me to clarify;

I’ve reverted to trying to just use the wired WAN connection.

-I powered down the unit
-I removed the cell card
-I powered up the unit
-Connected via eBuddy

When I attempt to go through the wizzards again, when I get to the internet connection, the only option in the drop down is “no internet access”. I am hardwired to the WAN via cat5 patch cable.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for clarifying. That’s definitely odd behavior. Can you share a backup with support files so we can see if there are any errors in the logs that might explain this?

I’d also like you to try manually enabling the Ethernet WAN connection. You can do this by navigating to Setup → System → Storage → Tabular edition → Edit COM cfg. Double click a parameter’s value to edit, then click save and reboot to apply. Change these parameters:

• WanCnx = 2 (sets WAN interface to Ethernet)
  • WANPermCnx = 1 (maintains connection indefinitely rather than re-establishing periodically)
  • EthIpAddr2 = [WAN IP]
  • EthIpMask2 = [WAN subnet mask]
  • EthGW = [WAN gateway]
  • EthDns1 = [DNS 1]
  • EthDns2 = [DNS 2]

Alternatively, you can leave the IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS settings out if you’re using DHCP and just use this:

• EthDnsAuto = 1 (set DNS servers by DHCP)
  • UseBOOTP2 = 2 (use DHCP for WAN configuration)

Hi Kyle,

Also, can you verify you have an Ethernet WAN card installed? The Flexy 201 only has LAN ports built into the base unit and requires a separate extension card for a WAN connection over Ethernet.

Ok, this is helpful info I may have overlooked. Our previous experiment was based on a 205 model.

I do not have an Eth WAN card, however I do have a WIFI card.

I was able to get through the wizzard with the WIFI internet connection. Some questions:

If I want to test the cell card, can I use a sim card that has a cellular and data plan already activated on it? I attempted to use the sim from my phone. This didn’t work. I also attempted to use a SIM card we had previously purchased for this exact purpose with cellular and data. I also attempted to use another SIM with cellular and data borrowed from a modem I was using on another project. Neither attempt worked. When I tried to do the internet connection wizzard, I could not connect each time. Is there something special about the data plan?

I have a Flexy 205 here that I know was working with the sim card in it before (set up by a colleague).
I’d like to start fresh with the 205. Is there a way to rest it to factory default?

Hi Kyle,

For a supported carrier, and with the right APN set on the Ewon, you should be able to use the SIM card from a personal phone. What carrier is your phone using? Can you share what errors you’re receiving in the event logs after testing after the Internet wizard, or a backup with support files so we can see the full logs?

You can factory reset a Flexy 205 with the following procedure:

• Power off the unit.
  • While powering it on, press & maintain the reset button. The LED labeled BI1 turns green.
  • Keep the reset button pressed for approximately 35 seconds until the USR LED remains red steady.
  • When this state is reached, release the button. The LED labeled BI1 turns off.
  • Check if the auto test is successful, the USR LED blinks red with a pattern of 200ms on and 1500ms off. The Ewon does NOT restart by itself in normal mode and remains running in this diagnostic mode.
  • Power off the Ewon and power it on again to reboot the unit in a normal mode. As described before, the Ewon returns to its default COM parameters and factory IP addresses (such as LAN 10.0.0.53) after this level 2 reset is performed.

I will start over and try again when I’m in the office tomorrow. From there I will share the logs.

Thanks for the info.

As a last ditch effort, I signed up with the AT&T carrier as per the instructions sent with the SIM card included. Doesn’t look like this will work for me though as I’m in Canada. I’ll make another attempt with one of the SIM cards I have already activated for my region.

After some trial and error, I determined that the wrong antenna was installed on the device. There was a wifi antenna in place of a cell antenna. I swapped them out and everything worked.

Thanks for the help.

Still curious : On the Flexy 205, when you launch the browser its configured to bring up the View on dash board. How do regain access to the default configuration page?

Great catch, I’m glad to hear you identified the issue.

You can reach the default configuration page by navigating to [your_device_ip]/index.shtm.

You can also configure the default homepage under Setup → System → Main → General → Identification, in the “User defined home page” field. If it’s set to the first option, http://your_device_ip/usr/, with the space to the right left blank, it’ll default to the configuration page. This can be helpful if you want to bookmark the route to your viewON page but leave the Flexy’s IP set to go to the configuration page.