Using Cellular for Remote Access/T2M and WAN as a NAT for Local communications

Hello!

I was hoping to replace an assortment of devices with the Flexy 205. I am already seeing great value in its data logging but being able to replace more electronics in my cabinets is going to really help my competitive cost and clean up some space.

I would like to know if, when I connect the cellular card option, if I can dedicate the cellular line to the T2M connection for remote access and sending historically logged data to the cloud while using the local #4 ethernet port as a WAN (192.XXX.XXX.XXX) to act as an interface with a customers automation network with the rest of the ports on a private skid network (10.XXX.XXX.XXX).

Obviously, most locations will not allow their automation network exposure to the internet, so I am hoping the T2M connection can be routed in this fashion so I can retain integration / cross network communications while being able to remove an expensive 1783-NATR or managed switch from the skid.

If this is possible, please let me know the necessary configuration changes I will need to make.

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,

The Flexy 205 can only use one WAN connection at a time, so if you were using a cellular connection for T2M, and your LAN was on 10.x.x.x, you would need a NAT router to also connect to 192.x.x.x. However, if 192.x.x.x had a route to the internet, you could use that as your WAN connection because the Flexy creates a secure encrypted tunnel between the Flexy and T2M, so the Flexy is not exposed to the internet. You can then enable NAT translation between 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x.

Hopefully that answers your question, but if not or if you are looking for additional details, please let me know.

Thank You,
Kyle