Using the SD slot for backups

Hi,

I was curious about the functionalities of the ewons SD-card slot.
So far I have read some documentations about the restore process from an SD but you have to create the backupfiles manually from the ewon (via ebuddy) to a SD card which is connected to my PC.

We have inserted an empty SD card in every installed ewon so far.
My question is: Is there a possibility to create a backup from the ewon directly to his SD card?
So the use case would be, if an ewon dies, we remove his SD card and insert this one into a new ewon for restoring the configturation.

Best regards
Florian

Hi floit,

You can save a backup of the Ewon programmatically using the Basic command GETFTP, which is used to retrieve files over FTP and store them in the Ewon’s /usr directory. Assuming you have an SD card installed and working as an EUM card, you can transfer a current backup of the Ewon to /usr/sdext with the command GETFTP "backup.tar", "/usr/sdext/backup.tar", "adm:adm@127.0.0.1:21, 1", where adm:adm is your Ewon’s local username and password.

Note that you can only send files directly to the SD card if it’s formatted as an EUM card, which requires it to use the ext3 file system. To apply files from the SD card it will need to use FAT32, which means it’s not possible to directly insert the card in a new Ewon to apply the backup; you’ll need to save the backup file and reformat the SD card to FAT32 first.

Best regards,
Hugh

1 Like

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!
This helps me a lot