VCI V3: Units of a 'tick'

The VCI V3 API Manual says the resend time of a frame added to the scheduler is in ‘ticks’ What are the units of a ‘tick’? Specifically I’m looking to convert a period (in milliseconds) to ‘ticks’.

Hello,

The increment of a Tick in seconds is determined by the equation defined on page 26 of this manual,

https://www.ixxat.com/docs/librariesprovider8/default-document-library/downloads/vci-v3/vci-v3-net-api-manual-(english).pdf?sfvrsn=6c2ddbd6_8

Thanks; so the unit of a tick is seconds. Seems odd that to programmatically determine this, floating point is needed (assuming that Ixxat has better than 1 second accuracy). Seems like it would be easier to talk in a smaller unit.

I am going to ask my colleagues in Ravensburg to elaborate on this. I will update you with their answer as soon as I have it. Thanks!

I was provided some information as well as some examples from colleague,

"Please find a VCI3.NET time stamp programming example and a VCI3-C-API time stamp programming example in the attachment.
I think that the time stamp calculation is better described in the C-API manual.

static ulong qwTimeStampResolNSec = 0; // time stamp precis resolution
static ulong qwTimeInTicks = 0; // time stamp in ticks
static ulong qwTimerOverruns = 0; // number of timer overruns
static ulong qwTimeStamp = 0; // time stamp in 100ns

qwTimeStampResolNSec = (ulong)1000000000 * mCanCtl.TimeStampCounterDivisor / mCanCtl.ClockFrequency;

Please note the tick values are different for each hardware."

2013-05-15-CANConNet-H-M-S-ms-us-ns-TimeStamp.zip (16.3 KB)

CANConNet-Scheduler3.zip (24.7 KB)

2012-06-28-CANConTimeStampDay-100ns-VSCpp2012.zip (9.1 MB)

My colleague also mentioned that he is working on an example to show how to set the transmit scheduler in milliseconds (or microseconds)

I am not sure when this example will be available.

1 Like

My colleague provided example code for using Microseconds,

vciv3_scheduler_tick_calc.c (2.1 KB)

VCI3_5-NPL-Scheduler.zip (65.7 KB)

2 Likes