ViewOn: How to copy project

How do you copy a viewon Project and save it as a new project in order to create a similar, but different ViewOn configuration?

Howdy, @nickTriPhase1!

You can accomplish this in a few steps:

1. Navigate to your viewON projects directory using Windows File Explorer. Typically, this directory is C:\Users[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\viewON Projects
  2. Copy the folder of the project you want to copy and paste it into the directory. Name the folder what you want to name your new project.
  3. Open your new project’s directory, and you should see a file called OldProject.gv where OldProject is the name of the original project. Rename the file to newProjectName.gv where newProjectName is the name you want your new project to be.
  4. Open the .project file with a text editor like notepad, and within the name tags, you should see the name of the original project. Change this to the new project’s name.
  5. You should now be able to open the new project in viewON. Note, the folder, .gv file, and .project file’s name must match.

Please let me know if this helps, and if you have any other questions!

Best,
Ashley

2 Likes

Works like a charm!

@ashley.hms

For some reason not all of the project properties copied over to the new project. I was unable to bring up the actual webpages during testing. Just for reference if this happens in the future, I noticed that the .HTML documents inside of the “export” folder were missing. Just copy these files over to your new project from your old project and it should work well!

1 Like

@nickTriPhase1

That is strange - I checked the project that I tested out and the html files transferred over. I will definitely note to future customers to keep an eye out for that happening though. Thanks for letting us know!

Best,
Ashley

FYI. I was having a hard time getting this open in notepad. Opening it up in Visual Studio or Visual studio code worked for me.

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I will ensure that our team is made aware, and to use that information going forward.

1 Like