Wi-Fi WLAN and Firmware Upgrade Issue

Are there any know bugs when upgrading to firmware version 13.0s0 from eBuddy via eCatcher VPN that it can cause the eWON to lose connectivity and not ever connect again and in particular on a device with a WLAN NIC that connects via a Wi-Fi connection?

I upgraded a Flexy 201 device to this same firmware version that is on a hard-wired Ethernet LAN card for the WAN side and it reconnected just fine. However, I upgraded one that used a WLAN for the WAN and it has since not reconnected and that was early last week sometime.

We have the same logic in most eWONs that will auto reconnect and such and I have a backup of the latest scripts in the thing plus I did a fully backup before the push, but it’s not connected once since shortly after pushing the latest firmware version to it las week sometime.

Luckily this is an eWON that’d not being used for production purposes so it’s not a big deal but we do have other eWONs that are used in production environments and that also only connect via the WAN via a WLAN connection so just wanted to get some thoughts, common issues as such, etc. if there are any.

Note: Unfortunately I did not document the firmware version these eWONs were on before the upgrade and I guess I thought the backup TAR files contain this detail but I was not able to find with a search—I’ll document this moving forward now though. I think they were both on 12.1s2 though but not 100% certain.

@PJ_IOT

There are no known bugs when upgrading the firmware to version 13.0 via the eCatcher VPN.
Updating the firmware remotely or through the VPN has a much higher risk associated to it than when performing a firmware update locally. If there’s a connection drop during the firmware update then your device may become unresponsive until you recover it locally.

Were you able to get someone local to check the USR LED on the device, and see if it’s blinking green as intended? Additionally, I would give the device a power cycle and see if it comes online.

If the USR LED is flashing green then try to ping the LAN IP of the eWON/take a backup (including support files) so we can view the logs. If the USR LED is not lit or flashing green then you may need to perform a recovery on the device to get it back.

1 Like

@hms_support

I will see if we can have someone power cycle it manually but there is a daily job on there ONDATE 7, "5 1 * * *", "GOTO DailyReboot" and then in that routine there is PRINT "Daily scheduled reboot at ";Time$ and REBOOT so if the scheduling mechanism is working it should have power cycled a few times since then. We’ll see if we can get someone to do it manually that’s local at that location though to start.

If I recall correctly though, it said firmware 100% successful or something along those lines and then it power cycled but maybe I’m wrong. I’ll let you know once we get more detail once someone power cycles it for sure though.