X-Gateway Help

Hello,

I was looking for a CANOpen device to interface between an Allen Bradley 1756 PLC and Kone hoist. I ended up purchasing the Anybus X-gateway AB-7306-B and a USB-to-CAN V2 compact 1.01.0281.12001.

I recently started to look into the gateway and trying to connect it with my PC. I watched a video that makes it seem pretty simple, but for whatever reason, the gateway does not show up on my configuration manager. I’m wondering if I am missing something like the correct cable. I was under the impression that what I did buy should get me started. Having no experience with CANOpen doesn’t help either.

Would you be able provide some assistance with the gateway? Right now I’m just looking to go online with it using my PC.

Thanks,

Ray Sickinger

Hello Ray,

I would first caution that this gateway does expect some understanding of CANopen for its setup. A basic set should be straight forward but it can get complicated fast.

As for getting it setup you I should be able to help you at least be able to scan and see the gateway and the slave device.

Can you first describe how your PC is connected to the everything? Are you connected to both the USB-to-CAN and the Gateway via USB?

How is the CAN bus configured? Do you have the Gateway, slave and USB to CAN connected to the Bus. Do you have 120 ohms terminating resistors at each end of the bus? This is very important without them a CAN bus will not run.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

My PC is connected to the USB-to-CAN using its USB connector. The USB-to-CAN serial port is connected to the gateway’s serial port.

I configured the IP address of the gateway using the IPconfig utility. Other than that its not configured. When I open the configuration manager, I can see the USB-to-CAN adapter in the select configuration window. After I click OK, I select connect. I can add the CANopen master file from the Repository EDS files and when I do that a gateway icon appears. When I click on the gateway icon, a list of parameters appear on the right. When I try to download, I get a failed to read object message.

I also noticed that in PC device manager, under Other devices the gateway shows up but says the drivers were not installed. I’m certain that I downloaded them from the website and installed them. Maybe I downloaded the wrong ones. Can you send me a link for the drivers?

Thanks,

**Ray

Hi Deryck,

My PC is connected to the USB-to-CAN using its USB connector. The USB-to-CAN serial port is connected to the gateway’s serial port.

I configured the IP address of the gateway using the IPconfig utility. Other than that its not configured. When I open the configuration manager, I can see the USB-to-CAN adapter in the select configuration window. After I click OK, I select connect. I can add the CANopen master file from the Repository EDS files and when I do that a gateway icon appears. When I click on the gateway icon, a list of parameters appear on the right. When I try to download, I get a failed to read object message.

I also noticed that in PC device manager, under Other devices the gateway shows up but says the drivers were not installed. I’m certain that I downloaded them from the website and installed them. Maybe I downloaded the wrong ones. Can you send me a link for the drivers?

Hi Ray,

Do you have the bus fully setup? With the nodes attached and 120 ohms on each end of the bus? If you do you should be able to scan the bus and detect the nodes. If you do not have the proper termination resistors you will not have any communication on the bus.

Deryck

Sorry Deryck,

I’m not sure what you mean by bus. Is it a bus set up in the configuration manager or a physical bus? The only thing I have set up in the software looks like the screenshot I sent you, and what I mentioned in my previous email. I don’t have my PLC or hoist connected.

Thanks,

Ray

@rsickinger,

I am referring to the wiring to the CANopen devices or your CAN network. Do you have any resistors between the USB to CAN and the gateway? Is your slave device also connected?

Deryck

I don’t have any resistors. Not really sure where to put them. Attached is a pic of how I have things connected on my desk. There are no slave devices connected yet.

Thanks,

**Ray

Rick looking at the picture it looks like you might have one 120 ohm resistor via a db9 inline resistor connector. Can you double check that little adapter between the usb to CAN and the gateway, it should be labeled to say its resistance. If you have a second one you should be able to just add that in and at least start seeing some communications to the gateway.

Deryck

Deryck,

The DB9 say it is just a gender changer with no markings of resistance.

Thanks,

Ray Sickinger

Facility Engineer

VIANT. We’re in it for life.

o:
610-409-2232 |
c:
267-500-5185

www.viantmedical.com

Here is a wiring diagram of a can bus I found.

Here is a document from National Instruments that covers the physical layer of a can bus.

You will need to at two 120 ohm resistor to allow communication.

Deryck