AB7072-B Setup Questions

I’m looking to set up my Anybus Communicator (AB7072-B). I’ve got a pc that I’m connecting via RS-232 and a PLC that I want to connect via Modbus-TCP. Essentially, I want to transmit two values between the computer and the PLC. The RS-232 string can be formatted however we need it to be, but currently it’s setup two transmit two weights seperated by a comma (Weights up to 6 digits each). So, it looks something like this: “100000,145000”.

Are there any guides to walk me through this or could someone point me in the right direction of a configuration? I’ll attach my CFG file for what I have currently after using the wizard. According to the logs, what I have isn’t currently working.

Thanks,
Zach

101218.cfg (16.0 KB)

Hello,

The user manual for the device is going to be your most significant resource. If you are just sending string data over RS232 you will want use generic Data mode and build a consume transaction to read in and store the data.

The config you sent would not be what you are looking to do. With that config you are setting the communicator up to make read request to a modbus serial device.

I recommend taking a look at he HMS Academy Instruction video. It should be a similar configuration to what you are trying to do with data from your PC. That video and the user guide can be found on the files and documentation page for the ab7072.

Deryck

Thanks for the help Deryck. One more question…

So, I took your advise and read through the manual. I am now using generic data mode and a single consume. My question is in regards to how a PLC will fetch the data from the Anybus gateway. Since I only have a single consume and a single variable data, will the PLC be able to fetch the two weights as individual values? Or… do I need to set up two consumes as I’m trying to store/fetch two seperate values.

Hello @anonuxzisrfy,

The communicator is going to take the data you tell it to consume and write it to the memory addresses that you specify. The communicator does not look at the data type being used only writing bytes. The plc is then going to access this data as an array. Combining bytes depending on the data type used to set it up.

If you are sending the data as one message you can set up the consume to break up the data and write it to specific address location. If you are sending the ASCII string “100000,145000” you can create a consume transaction that looks like this:
[6 byte data object] starting address 0x0
[constant 0x2c (ascii ,) ]
[6 byte data object] starting address 0x6

From the plc you will then have access to the first string from memory location 0-5 and the second at 6-12.

If you can send me a log showing the data being sent to the Communicator and your current configuration I can take a look and make some suggestions.

Deryck

Deryck,

Thanks for explaining all of that. I’ll attach the log file and my configuration file, but unless you see something out of the ordinary, I think we’re good to go.

Thanks again!
Zach

Sorry, I think I forgot to add these to the bottom of my last message.

101718.cfg (16.0 KB)
Log - 101818.txt (24.7 KB)

No problem, That looks good to me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Deryck