Anybus Bolt Wifi Distance

@anongvbsoiyq
Hi Tim,

I’m going to look into some more info on this and get back to you in this post

Thanks,
-Tim

Hi Tim,

I think that the topic below from Kent should be pretty useful in this case

https://forum.hms-networks.com/t/bridge-and-bolt-communication-issues-at-50-ft/1361/13

Let me know if you have any questions on this

Tim, were you able to find out if we can increase the signal output to increase the range of the WiFi?

Tim Beals

SCADA Advisor

Roan Resources

Hi Tim,

Was this post helpful at all with talking about the different channels?

https://forum.hms-networks.com/t/bridge-and-bolt-communication-issues-at-50-ft/1361/13

No, this post did not help. I’m not having issues with dropping data or interference. Our issue is with the line of sight range of the wifi. We have 6 very remote sites, none of which are close to one another and no other wifi is on site. We can only get 100-150’ from the Bolt before it drops the wifi connection. We are/were only asking if there is a setting to increase the power/signal output.

At this point it doesn’t appear there is.

Let me try and check with some colleagues in Sweden and see if they have any recommendations

Hello,

We wanted to check if the units that you’re working with have a clear line of sight to each other?

Yes definitely clear line of site.

To clarify, each remote well site (no other wifi around) only has one Access Point and we have mounted the Bolt 15’ in the air and we do have clear line of site. Again, the Bolt is working properly, it just does not have very good range. My question is; is there a setting via AT commands that will allow us to increase the signal output strength?

Hello sorry for the delay,

Can you give us a network infrastructure map for the site showing where the wireless clients and APs are installed along with their elevations?

Best Regards,
Tim

There is not an infrastructure map. This is a very simplistic layout.

There is a Single Wireless Bolt configured as an AP using 2.4Ghz. The bolt is mounted outside approximately 12 feet in the air and has no obstructions (clear line of sight). There is not a bolt client. We use our laptops to connect to the AP from the front seat of our trucks.

Would it be possible to send us a picture of what the unit looks like where it’s mounted? We were wondering if there was any metal that might be causing reflections and causing issues with the wifi range.

We were also wondering if you could check the rssi on a laptop that when it’s around the dropout range to see if it’s still getting a good signal before it drops off or if it’s a pretty rapid drop off when it reaches that range.

The last thing we were wondering about was if you could let us know what kind of laptops are connecting to the devices to see if we know of any issues associated with that.

The picture below shows the expected propagation field of the Bolt and how it should be operating.

Depending on the orientation of the antenna inside the Bolt, we have a dead spot near the base where the Bolt would be installed into the top of the panel. This could be affecting the range seen by the device they are using to connect.

Hello,

Just wanted to check in and see if there was any update for this

No, close the ticket. We have come to the conclusion that the range is always going to be very limited in distance. It has nothing to do with antenna placement, obstacles, metal interference, etc. We have 8 of them installed on 8 different remote sites at different heights etc and the performance is the same for all of them.

Note that my original question was strictly to find out if there was a way to increase the power output. The question/answer I was expecting was a simple NO, or YES with instructions. Obviously it’s a no.

Thanks for the follow up!