Anybus DeviceNET Scanner and Ethernet/IP Adapter X-Gateway

Okay never saw it before just getting started I downloaded everything:

1. Do I need a special software tool to setup the DNET scanner side?
  2. Can I use Rockwell RSNetworx and import that into the gateway?
  3. Does it cyclically poll with RPI on the Allen Bradley PLC or do I need to do MSG?
  4. Can I do explicit messaging from PLC thru the gateway?

Hi @Michael,

It appears that this is part of another conversation, so I may be missing something, but I can answer the four questions for you:

1. Do I need a special software tool to setup the DNET scanner side?

Yes, you need to install NetTool for DeviceNET here.

1. Can I use Rockwell RSNetworx and import that into the gateway?

You can import the device into RSLogix or Studio using the EDS file.

1. Does it cyclically poll with RPI on the Allen Bradley PLC or do I need to do MSG?

It’s an EIP adapter (slave) and set up as an I/O device, so you would have to do the polling from the PLC, but you can also use MSG instructions.

1. Can I do explicit messaging from PLC thru the gateway?

It’s not a transparent gateway, so you cannot send an explicit message through it. You can only send it to the gateway itself.

It sounds like you are referring to the AB7916. Is that correct?

Hi Kyle, it’s a new conversation I just started off by saying “okay, …”.

1. Okay I got the “Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet” version 3.7.1.1.

2. I heard we need to buy that (hms-scm-1204-134) ACM DeviceNet Setup 3.7.1.1.exe? Is this a demo? How much does it cost?

3. I was thinking to try and import a DNET network configuration that had previously been created using RSNetWorx into the gateway to define the nodes that the DNET scanner is polling, but it sound like this will not work.

4. Darn, no explicit messages to the nodes on the DNET network, this may be an issue for our requirement.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @

You don’t have to pay for NetTool for DeviceNET. That is the full version and is free now.

You may be able to still use RSNetWorx. I would recommend trying that first if that is what you are familiar with.

Yes, the gateway is an IO device. It cannot pass explicit messages between EIP and DNet.

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

Thanks for the info.

I tried to open a RSNetWorx devicenet network config using the Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet but the file format seems to be different.

RSNetWorx makes a .DNT file.

If there is some way to do it please advise. In your last post you said “may” be able to which give me hope that there is a way, it would just be quicker, I’m happy to use the Anybus tool though.

Thanks,
Michael

@Michael,

I just wasn’t sure if the RSNetWorx for DeviceNet software would work with our master because I’ve never tried it. I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to open the configuration using NetTool though. I think this may be a long shot and you are pretty better off just using NetTool.

Sorry about that!

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

Some of the documentation on the HMS website (for some of the products) say that you can use RSNetWorx, BUT, probably not Gateways, probably DeviceNET masters, I saw one that looked like PCI. So I was optimistic!

Thanks!

@Michael,

I do know that you can use RSNetWorx and other software to configure our DeviceNet Adapter/Slaves. Here is an application note for it:

DeviceNet_RSNetWorx_1_03.pdf (1.6 MB)

I have just never heard of it being used to configure our Scanner/Master so it probably isn’t going to work. Let me know if you have any trouble using NetTool or have any other questions.

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

Okay got it.

Thanks! Let me try to get it going, I’ll ping you if I get stuck.

1 Like

@kyle_HMS

Just to clarify, when you say UPPER and LOWER, on mine on the side it says UpperMacID: Not Available
LowerMacID: 00-30-11-2C-E9-BA

I’m assuming the DeviceNET scanner is the upper and Ethernet/IP adapter is the lower.

Also, when looking at the module it is DeviceNET Scanner closer to the top.

See attached, just to confirm, UPPER and LOWER.

Thanks,
Michael

Yes, DeviceNet is UPPER, EIP is LOWER.

@kyle_HMS

1. AB7916-F (wondering what the -F means?)

2. Cannot connect to scanner to download DeviceNET configuration.

3. Using Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet” version 3.7.1.1.

4. Used IPConfig tool to setup ethernet port.

5. We see it okay and can ping it.

6. We then try procedure to install driver using the Using Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet” version 3.7.1.1.

7. We do not see the driver and or cannot figure out how to connect to the GW to load in the DeviceNET configuration?

8. We do not see the same driver as we see in the procedure.

1. This procedure.

1. This step.

1. Nothing pops up.

1. Please advise, can we do this using the ethernet port on the EIP side?

2. We setup the GW already using the ACM tool and it seems to be okay?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @Michael,

1. AB7916-F (wondering what the -F means?)

F is the latest hardware version

2. Cannot connect to scanner to download DeviceNET configuration.
- Using Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet” version 3.7.1.1.
- Used IPConfig tool to setup ethernet port.
- We see it okay and can ping it.
- We then try procedure to install driver using the Using Anybus Configuration Manager - DeviceNet” version 3.7.1.1. We do not see the driver and or cannot figure out how to connect to the GW to load in the DeviceNET configuration?
- We do not see the same driver as we see in the procedure

What you will need to do is connect the the gateway’s Ethernet port and then select the Anybus Transport Provider - as the driver. Under the Parallel tab, click Create and choose the Ethernet Transport Provider. You should then see your ethernet adapter connection to the gateway:

Select it and click OK. You should now be able to Connect to the gateway.

Once you are connected, make sure your DeviceNET devices are attached and then scan the network, add all of your devices and download the configuration to the Network.

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

1. Okay thanks we’ll try.
  2. Backing up one step, of all the “Communication Adapters” in the tree, for our AB7916 ----- do we use the “Anybus-M DEV Rev: 3.7”…?
  3. Is this right, do we need any other objects / drivers pulled in there?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @Michael,

The Anybus-M DEV Rev 3. 7 is the correct one, which you can confirm by importing the EDS file.

The picture looks right. I assume you installed EDS files for 1-4 already, have bus power, and terminating resistors in are in place.

Kyle

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

1. Can’t connect to DeviceNET scanner side of Gateway.

2. Used Transport Provider.

1. Following procedure exactly.

1. Click to connect.

1. Flashing LED’s.

Upper GW status: green slow
Upper NS: off
Upper MS: green solid
Upper run: green solid

Lower GW status: green slow
Lower link 1: green fast always
Lower MS: green slow
Lower NS: green slow in sync with MS
Lower link 2: off

1. Network offline.

1. Try to add DEV-M but “Upload scanlist” and “Download scanlist” are greyed out?

1. For sure this is a Ethernet/IP to DeviceNET scanner right?

2. Do I really need a viable DeviceNET cables and terminators wired to scanner to be able to connect? Why we cannot simply connect and download our network config then add the cables and devices one by one?

3. Anyway to get on a phone call? I think there is something basic we are missing.

4. We also hope our device is not damaged.

Thanks,
Michael

@Michael,

In order to Upload or Download scanlist, you need to be online with the scanner (there needs to be an active bus), which is why you need viable DeviceNET cables and terminators. We can do a phone call, but it might work better tomorrow morning when I’m at the office and have access to a working implementation in the lab to help you troubleshoot this. It’s up to you though. You can give me a call at 312-893-5636 today or tomorrow.

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

1. Thanks, you are right, after we have setup a viable bus and verified power and resistance it worked.
  2. We did have red parameters and faults related to AutoScan Fixed Map Size and AutoScan being enabled and disabled, we ignored those and eventually got the scan list loaded in and put it back in Run mode and it works.
  3. What is AutoScan?

1. We also see that we can send Explicit messages while online with the ACM - DeviceNet Config Tool, by clicking on a node, this raised the question again, why can’t we somehow do this THROUGH the gateway from the PLC over EIP and out from the DN scanner and back?

Hi @Michael,

Glad to hear you got that working!

If AutoScan is Enabled, the Scanner will automatically scan the network for slave devices and add them to the network.

The X-gateway allows the EthernetIP and DeviceNET networks to exchange I/O data via a shared memory space. It is not a transparent gateway, so it cannot send Explicit messages through the gateway.

Kyle

@kyle_HMS

1. Okay great thanks

Michael