Could not download to communicator

What is the cause of the “could not download to communicator” error message? Typically, the error messages are more descriptive as in “no user defined or default tags specified”. Is an incorrect configuration setting prohibiting the download?

That is usually a communications error. Is the linking device directly connected to the PLC or is it going through a switch? Sometimes going through a switch does not work and you have to connect the PLC directly to the Anybus linking device.

It is going through a switch. Ok, thanks for the tip. Now I am seeing a module fault due to electronic keying mismatch (major and/or minor revision invalid or incorrect). How do I resolve this?

Let’s back up. Can you confirm the Anybus device you are using? Do you have the article number and serial number?

HMS-EN2SE-R
Serial#: A04127F5

You’ve added the module to the RSLogix Studio 5000 configuration using the Add-On Profile, like this?

Which version of RSLogix are you running?

V33.00.00
Yes, I added the module as specified. I have been able to connect to the communicator previously.

What does it show here? Can you include a screenshot?

Have you tried disabling Electronic Keying?

I guess I will try disabling the electronic keying.

The revision is correct, so it could be an issue with the AOP. You could try re-installing it, but if it works with disabling the key ring, that’s easier and it shouldn’t cause any problems.

Disabling electronic keying has resolved the issue.

On another note, I would like to send and receive data to my PC with the HMS-EN2SE-R as the link to the PLC. Would you be able to refer me to any other posts if this has been done before? Thanks for your help.

There are some Examples in the User Manual.
But the relevant example will depend on the serial device you are using and the Protocol being used (Modbus, DF1, Generic ASCII)?

I have written some examples before on Modbus and Generic and a troubleshooting guide:

We have some videos as well: Connect devices with ASCII/Vendor specific protocols to Fieldbus and Ethernet

We also do offer services and training if you want more hands on help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.