Even eBuddy won't connect?

I programmed up an eWON Flexy with a single CAT5 card in it as a DHCP WAN.
I tested it at our facility, by plugging it into an Internet access point, and it came online with no issue.

I sent it out to the field, and it was installed at a customer’s site.
It did not go Online.

The port that was offered for Internet access worked for a laptop computer in getting Internet.

So, I had the technician download eBuddy, and had him plug DIRECTLY into the LAN side of the Flexy.
He was able to ping my other devices on the LAN, so I know his computer was configured correctly.

Here’s the problem: eBuddy did not see any eWON at all. We restarted the eWON, restarted eBuddy, hit the Refresh button…nothing.

Primary Question: Why wouldn’t eBuddy see the Flexy?

Secondary question: If I have my LAN side set to 192.168.1.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and the WAN side is set up to DHCP, but the WAN side is 192.168.0.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, is that a legal configuration?

@mitchell.hein

That is a legal configuration.

If you can ping the eWON / access its web interface but eBuddy is unable to see the device then an antivirus and/or firewall is restricting traffic to the eBuddy software. If possible, temporarily disable the AV/Firewall or create an exception for the ebuddy program.

You do not need ebuddy to access the interface of the eWON. You can manually type the LAN IP of the eWON into the browser. Once in the interface, run through the wizards to see which step fails as this will narrow down why the device is offline in ecatcher.

Pinging the last known LAN IP of the Flexy resulted in no reply ping.
Connecting to a browser resulted in “No device at that address”.

@mitchell.hein

Can you see the USR LED on the Flexy, is it blinking green?

The LEDs were all behaving normally, as far as was reported to me.
I didn’t specifically ask about a USR LED. Which one is that?

The WAN lights for link and action would stay lit for a while, and then go out.
The LAN lights showed a solid link and blinking communication.

@mitchell.hein

Knowing the status of the USR LED will let us know if the eWON is booting properly.
It’s underneath the PWR LED near the switch on the eWON Flexy device.

There were no Red Lights on the eWON. There’s no way to tell if the USR light was blinking at this point, as the unit has been boxed up and is being sent back to me.

@mitchell.hein

Alright, well if you do end up troubleshooting an unresponsive eWON, the USR LED can definitely aid in troubleshooting.

Here’s a quick guide:

Blinking green
If the eWON USR LED is blinking green then it’s booting properly. If we are unable to communicate with the eWON then we are most likely using the wrong LAN IP or our PC is not set in the same subnet.

Blinking Red
If it’s blinking red then an extension card may be installed in the wrong slot OR a duplicate LAN IP exists on the network. If using a 4G cellular extension card, firmware 12.1s2 is required before it will boot up properly.

Solid Color
If it’s a solid orange/red then there may something wrong with the power supply powering the eWON or the firmware/hardware of the eWON.

Excellent. I should have it by Next Day Air tomorrow, and this guide may be what I need to solve it.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just received the unit, and can confirm.
I can’t even connect to it locally with eBuddy.
Power LED and USR LED are both lit, the LAN4 LED lights when a LAN cable is plugged in.
However, I get no device showing up in eBuddy, and can’t access it using Internet Explorer.

Any suggestions on how to “wake it up”?

@mitchell.hein

Can you provide the serial number of the device?

1503-0001-56

@mitchell.hein

That’s a serial number for a 4005CD, can you confirm that you are using a 4005CD and not a flexy?

Sorry… that was the S/N of the unit it replaced.
The Flexy’s number is 1708-0063-21

@mitchell.hein

if the USR LED is a solid color then we’ll need to perform a recovery on the device to see if we can get in a normal state.

To do a recovery, you’ll need to plug your PC into a 10/100 Ethernet switch and then from the switch into eWON’s LAN port 1.

Pages 6-10 of the following document review the recovery process using the software eBuddy:

Is this what you would expect to see?

@mitchell.hein

Yes, It’s alright if eBuddy doesn’t see the device during the recovery.
You can type the serial number in manually.

The eWON now shows up in eBuddy.
When I attempt to do a backup, I get this:
I also get the same message when I attempt to Update the Firmware again.

I tried to use the Connection Wizard to get it Online.
It DID see the Internet, and passed that test, but when I tried to use the Talk2M wizard, I got this:

@mitchell.hein

Have you tried the recovery procedure outlined on pages 6-10 in the KB-0114-0 document above?
Passive mode is usually used for the typical firmware update but not a recovery.

The recovery procedure is how I got it this far. Before, It didn’t even show up on eBuddy.

Now, I see it on eBuddy (with the functional limitations mentioned above), and I can get into the eWON using Internet Explorer. I lost all my tags, and most of the configuration… but the scripts are all still in there.

So, it looks like only part of the restore worked.

I’d put the backup in there, but I get the error mentioned previously.