Fw: Modbus map

I have set up Modbus server in linking device for 192.168.1.100, command 3, 32bit, size 2 starting @ 4001.

Showing no data.

C. Horn

Belt-Way Modbus TCP Protocol Design v11 2017.pdf (524 KB)

Can you please look at the transaction monitor in the configuration software and take a screen shot? Perhaps you can also take a screen shot of your transaction under the “Modbus server” tab?

One thing you need to be careful about is adding the 4 at the beginning of 4001, many times the 4 is a prefix that means holding register. In our gateway you do not need to add the 4, I am not sure if this is the case in your situation.

Best regards,
Nick

Removed 4 from 4001 holding register in Transaction Register.

Inline image

Inline image

Nick,

I believe this message is intended for one of our customers.

I spoke with a gentleman yesterday who is using an HMS gateway to get from ethernetIP to ModbusTCP to poll our scale.

You are correct, our first holding register is 40001, with an offset of 40001.

Sounds like your configuration software is looking for Function Code 3 at address 0

@hornautomation,

The error in the monitor indicates it does not have a connection to the slave device. No device is responding to the request. Are you sure the ip address is correct? Are you able to ping the slave and the modbus side of the gateway?

Deryck

The Modbus/TCP server is connected to port X2.1 of the linking device and should be at 192.168.1.100 according to supplier. I am unable to ping this address. Would the linking device allow routing through so that I could ping it?

I can ping the Ethernet/IP address.

Scale has default slave ID of 247.
Does HMS configuration have a parameter for Slave ID?

The both interfaces act as 2 port switches X1.1 & X1.2 are paired and X2.1 & X2.2 are paired. so with the slave plugged into 2.1 you can plug your pc into 2.2 and ping both interfaces. The Ethernet/IP side is separate from the modbus side. So being connects to one side will not give you access to the other.

Deryck

It looks like the Slave id is currently set to 255 based on the screen shots. If the default is 247 you should update this in the in the Unit id for the transactions.

Ok. Let me check.

C. Horn

Changed to 247. No change.

Previously you mentioned you were not able to ping the 192.168.1.100 from the second Modbus Ethernet port. Was this issue resolved?

Deryck

I am not onsite. I tried remotely which would require going thru EWon & Ethernet/IP side. I believe you mentioned linking device does not allow pass thru.

C.Horn

Cycle power to scale after a change to ethernet settings.

I am able to ping the Ethernet/IP side but nothing on the Modbus side when I connect the scale to X2.2 and my PC to X2.1.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but you should only be able to ping the Modbus side if connected to the X2. side. What IP address is set in the Modbus Client config. tab? Is your PC in the same subnet?

If you have the 2.x and the 1.x side networked together you could ping both.

Deryck